Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mopar1973Man

Picture Posting

Guest Mopar1973Man

Ok Gang...

I'm working on getting a photo program for the site so hang in there...

For now though you can post pics on the site but they got to be hosted elsewhere for the time being. Like photbucket, etc..

DSCF1142-640x480.jpg

So as you can see you can post pics but once again they got to be hosted else where till I get the program for the site...

Guest Mopar1973Man

I found a add on script for the site...

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=369533

But I'm not sure if it will host pics too yet... So I'm going to try getting it fire up on the copy of the site I've still got here and see what its like first before I BOMB the site and screw it up... :o

I might get a back up made too of the site so we don't lose anything... :roll:

Pics can add up in size quickly. 100GB can get filled really fast. Personally I feel it would be better to use Photobucket or some other free pic host for a while. Otherwise we will quickly exceed space and bandwidth allotments.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just throwing stuff out to think about.

I can also look into what it would cost to get a static IP address for my house. I have a 10Mbps fiber connection to my house. All we would need then is a resonable box to run the site and a UPS.

Guest Mopar1973Man

:lol: That's how this site got started but... I've got a 1024/256 down/up DSL line...

But yes your right the bandwidth and space is a very big consideration... If we can keep photo sizes to a smaller size 320x200 or 640x480 max... Also keep the total file size down you'll be able to host a small number of pics per user.

Hmmm... But as the site grows this amount will grow! :o

It all depends on how many users and how many kB's you give to each user...

:lol: That's how this site got started but... I've got a 1024/256 down/up DSL line...

But yes your right the bandwidth and space is a very big consideration... If we can keep photo sizes to a smaller size 320x200 or 640x480 max... Also keep the total file size down you'll be able to host a small number of pics per user.

Hmmm... But as the site grows this amount will grow! :o

It all depends on how many users and how many kB's you give to each user...

Don't forget we have gone from 1 to 32 users in 7 days.

Typical 640x480 picture will be about 60K. That would work out to be about to be about 1.75 million pictures. But then we have no room for posts :lol: Typical post is about 2 to 5K unless you get some one that is crazy and writes small novels. So if we have 5K per post, that should be about 20million posts or so. I guess the concern will be more with bandwidth than anything then.

I guess if you keep it at about 640x480 with a 60 to 65K limit we should be good.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Another thing that just hit me like a brick... :shock:

I forgot about things like spiders walking the site... They end up walking the photo gallery too eating up bandwidth on spiders (Google, Yahoo, etc.)

Maybe we soon hold lose for the time... I'll still check the add-on and see what its got for abilities and control...