4D55 Performance Inc.

Propane Injection

I plan on adding a Propane Injection to my little Mitsubishi Pickup. I am not looking for big power increases, I am just looking for a little improvement in MPG and slight increase in performance.

So is there a difference in kits that are being sold on the market. Are those kits that are being sold on ebay for $300 pretty much the same thing as the Bullydog kit that costs three times as much?

Does anyone have experience with any of the kit out there?

Thanks

Propane advances timing. Most people that install propane fail to account for that and then get crazy with the amount of propane they add. With a DI diesel you can typically add 20 to 40% in power and with IDI diesel about 10% is it.

I posted a thread here a while back that has a link to a great article on propane. Click here

well, i decided to say no to drugs. cylinder pressures are harder on the HG. i had the lpg enter the air box so i had lpg going thru my turbo and thru the innercooler which wouldnt be good if the shtf. also i could build more than enough rwtq with just #2 alone. this was on an early 24v.

as to prices, this was 11 years ago and my memory isnt what it should be but it was much much cheaper than the bullydog that had just come out and the ats was way more than the b-dog. used a boost pressure switch to make sure the lpg didnt flow under 6psi boost. electric valve. bbq tank in the back of the bed and i had an adjustable regulator. a bulkhead fitting into the stock dodge airbox which had a small orfice. i tried a couple different sizes of orfices and kept it small. i didnt want to get too carried away. i had no problems and i sure didnt want to. moderation is a good thing sometimes.

i didnt dyno with it but it gave it a great sop increase. a guy i knew did a homemade lpg setup and had it rigged up in 2 stages, one for power and one for mpg and it certainly did help his mileage. he drove an IDI ford with an ats turbo and he made good power with the lpg. he used more lpg than i did and still had no problems that he admitted to.

another thing the egt doesnt go up as much for the amount of power added too. another benefit.

personally if i was you i wouldnt do it though. but i guess im the kind of guy who worries about stuff too much.

I think you worry to much Muddy. I am just looking to get a more complete burn of my fuel so that I can get a few more MPG. If I gain 10hp, that would make me plenty happy. My truck has IDI and makes around 120hp so I think these are realistic expectations.

Here is a link to the kit I am thinking of: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Propane-Injection-System-for-all-Turbo-Diesels_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem260345354360QQitemZ260345354360QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

It seems like a good alternative to spending $850 on the Bully Dog system.

So it says that propane injection does really increase EGT's but does propane increase boost pressure?

if speed and load remain the same, boost pressure should actually drop, due to more efficent burn giving you same power with less fuel/air, when I was running it I don't recall there being a noticable difference in power, my kit was one of the very first that bullyfrog put out, no boost switch or evaporator or anything fancy, just a line from the tank to a regulator on the fender, and a small hose going into the intake pipe pre-turbo.

So seeing how my truck is a turbocharged IDI, would I be better off to go with propane or with a water/meth setup. I don't really want to increase boost pressure to much cause compression is 21:1 and I already push 15psi. I would mind pushing 18-20 psi, but thats the limit I feel comfortable with.

There are a few guys that have tried water/meth with the IDI Mercedes Turbo diesels and have had very little change other than lowering EGT's.

There are a few guys that have tried water/meth with the IDI Mercedes Turbo diesels and have had very little change other than lowering EGT's.

:-(

Well, I will start with modifying the fuel pump and adding an intercooler. If that is not enough power then I will add propane.

Man these IDI's are tougher to modify.

I too toy with the idea of building my own.... all I want to do is boost mileage. I would be happy even loosing power for mileage. It is fun going fast, but, that is not my main desire or normal operation. I was hoping it would clean up the engine too. Mine is so dirty I can change my oil and it looks just like before I changed it without even starting the engine! That's pretty dirty in my book. I would be ok with it only staying clean for about 1000 or so miles.