Blue2002

Need Advice - Inverted Y to T Steering Mod

The Drag Link and Tie Rod have gone bad on my 2002 Dodge 4x4. I'm thinking about going from the Stock Inverted Y setup to the Modified T Setup. I plan on noting toe, as well as distance and axle to frame position to get the alignment close to original location before having one of the local joints do the alignment. Truck has DSS installed. Also I plan to remain with stock lift.

Is this an easy conversion? Does anyone have a parts list available? Is there anything that I have to watch out for?

Side Note Edited. Bruneel was correct about the passenger side upper and lower ball joints being bad. I eat crow on this one. All four Ball Joints were solid as far as side play, but passenger side had a lot of up down movement. I also have slop on both ends of the drag link and where the tie rod connects to the drag link~~. I plan on replacing ball joints, drag links, and tie rod once I get feedback on the T setup. then having Bruneel do the alignment.

Thanks

George

Off the top of my head all the parts from the '98, '99 Heavy duty steering will bolt in with the exception of part of he drag link I think. I know there is a part that must remain from your year.

I'll try to dig up all the part numbers and get them posted.

Dave

98-99 uses inverted T steering, which is a much better setup.

It uses a tie rod that connects both tires and the draglink goes to the tie rod.

Inverted Y has the draglink going to the pass. tire and the tie rod going off the draglink. When the suspension cycles up/down it changes the toe.

never even heard of it.

Found out that you need to be careful of the taper angle on the rods ends. The end of the drag link on the pittman arm side had a different angle than the factory (for the part numbers that I had). I decided to stay with the orignal setup rather than mess around trying to make sure the ends had the correct taper. If someone knows the correct parts, then this thread might be good for another member who decides to go with the upgrade.

what ever you decide to do I suggest replacing all your drive train componets with moog. moog is all i install at my shop and I warranty them for 60000 miles.

If you think about it the front of the truck with a cummins the weight of the engine is why the front wears out so fast I had a 96 dodge with a 318 I had 217000 mile on it before I had to rebuild the front end.

:dodge