broncman

OBS Frame flex!

Have any of you guys done anything to stiffen up these frames? I was at the job site today & had to pull the truck up next to the house into a big hole, & man do these things twist! I remember my old 92 & two 97s did the same thing. I need to stiffen this thing up somehow. I havent crawled underneath yet to look for a good spot to stiffen it up yet, but just figured I'd ask to see if any of you have tried to address this yet?

mine sure did. i'll need to grab pics and post. it made it great for traction as i used to easily walk thru spots with it that had my jeeps and yotas 2 oppisite wheels in the air spinning.

dont worry about it. if you are going to 4-whl it continiously in 'those' kind of places it will be hard on cab mounts but normal use no prob.

Yeah, I know they all do it, but it just irritates the hell out of me for some reason. Im gonna go crawl out there now & see where some additional crossmembers could go or if I could box part of the frame to stiffen it up some.

Why???? Man those things have a better frame then the dodge does. The factory built them that way and I have never herd of any problems in them. I think you will cause more problems then you will help.

So they are suppose to flex like that?? I heard stories before about people breaking out their rear window from so much frame flex. Maybe Im just worried about it too much. I just figured it would be a lot stouter with some reinforcement. I guess i'll just let it go, unless it starts to cause any problems. Thanks for the input guys! :cheer:

if the frame were to stiff it would crack rather than flex. like on 50ft farm trailers they would actually torch some of the factory welds and bolt it back to gether where it was cracked and allow it to flex.

Yup, was going to say the same thing.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

So by strengthing one thing, you inherently apply more forces to the next weak spot, and exponentially so on.

Ford made one week link to make up for another. They were smart when they engineered their equip. that I'll give credit too. I would not mess with the stock frame at ALL.. It is developed with this in mind..

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found