DZS-Cummins

had a bit of a scare last night

well last night i was gonna head into town to find somethin to do so i went out and was started my truck and after a minute or 2 it went into high idle. didnt think anything of it then a minute or 2 after that it made this god awful noise that sounded like the motor was comin apart so i ran out and shut it off. then went and got my spotlight and was pokin around on it and everything seemed alright so i started it again and it ran fine.... i think an injector musta been stuck open or shut or maybe my fuel was a bit jelled..... needless to say i damn near had a heart attack lol

It sounds like what Nate's truck was doing when it was on 3 cylinder idle when it is very cold outside. His truck ramped up to 1200 rpm or so, then dropped half the cylinders to generate some egt's.

lol ya i dont blame ya.... it bout killed me off when it first went into it i thought somethin was F*CKED up. like i said its done high idle a million times but never dropped the 3 cylinders wasnt quite ready for it lol

lol ya i dont blame ya.... it bout killed me off when it first went into it i thought somethin was F*CKED up. like i said its done high idle a million times but never dropped the 3 cylinders wasnt quite ready for it lol

That's the exact reason Dodge gave for disabling it from the factory. guys though their trucks were gonna shake apart and complained about it.

That's the exact reason Dodge gave for disabling it from the factory. guys though their trucks were gonna shake apart and complained about it.

I was just gonna complain that I have never heard it..... Now I have to wonder if mine is disabled. I will have to look into that.

So, it sounds that bad? Does it make a knocking noise or is it just missing? I would think it would just sound like it lost three cylinders and shake a bit. (In school, the 12v that my partner and I were working on tried to start with 2 cylinders. We were bleeding the fuel system by cranking on it: seems some past students broke the manual bleeder on the lift pump. My partner quit cranking and maybe even turned it off when the third and fourth injectors got fuel. I tightened down the third and fourth injectors fuel lines and the next time he cranked, it started on 4 cylinders easily. We told it that 'it was being ambitious'!)