millco

'06 Throttle Sticking!!

Ok, this ain't right!! Twice now, I have had the throttle stick on my truck. First time a couple of days ago I thought I accidentally enabled cruise control. I tried a couple of times to disengage with the brake pedal (The Cummins loves to fight the brakes. It wins easily!). My first Cummins had brake switch problems, so I didn't think much about it this time......

Next time was on our way home from being snowed in over CHRISTmas. We had just got off the freeway and onto Addison out by the Hansen Bridge. It was really iced so I let off the throttle at about 52 mph. I intended to hit the brakes to see how slick it was. The truck kept going as if the cruise was on. Since I had last used it at either 70 or 75 and was sure I hadn't bumped or set it; I knew the cruise wasn't on. To be for sure, I hit cancel. That didn't work. So to be even more sure, I turned off the cruise. That didn't kill it either. So I reached down to make sure the mat wasn't somehow holding the throttle. My wife didn't like me doing that (Let's see: icy roads, pulling trailer with a car on it, after dark, full passenger compartment [Yes, you can fill a 'Man Van'...LOL], other vehicles on the road [in the WAY!!], and I'm playing around in the floor under the accelerator pedal and you have a Cummins under the hood that wants to play! Yes, I guess this would have bothered me if I wasn't driving....LOL. Anyway, there wasn't anything holding the pedal! To try and be sure I gave the flashlight I dug out to my daughter next to me. She couldn't see anything holding the pedal either. After about 2 miles, it just suddenly let go and returned the throttle to 0.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't know what could cause this. I will have to pull the codes to see if it knows of any problems. I will bet not because I would make that a hard code that sets the CEL! This is important enough that you don't want it happening. I really don't know if the brakes are strong enough to overcome that darn Cummins or not (I think I should take the Smarty off 7!! Perhaps I should set it to 0. Isn't that 1/2 stock power? That would at least help the brakes be able to overcome that engine....

Anyway, if you have any ideas: please bring 'em on! I would think this should be fixed!! I am not sure the warrantee is over or not yet; doesn't matter. I would rather fix it than take it to them......

the 03's had a problem similar to what you describe with the cruise, but not the 06's that ive heard of.

i wouldnt drive on slick roads with the smarty on 7:nono:

yes 0 is 1/2 power. if you have a smarty it'll tell you if there are any codes, have you looked?

Agree.. check for codes...

A scan tool can also tell you if the throttle is being applied to the engine by a faulty APPS (or whatever the 06 has inplace of the APPS).. i.e. my scangauge II shows me TPS, zero throttle gives me a 0 reading, as does cruise.. So any reading above 0 with your foot off the fuel would tell you its the APPS.

Dano... Maybe your truck is just mad because you never let it out of its cage :train:

you should call Levi

Or it wants out more often after I finally did.....LOL! We couldn't make it up my father-in-laws driveway for CHRISTmas. I got a little upset with it and burned off the rear tires a bit after trying to get up the hill 5 times. I didn't know the Smarty removed the rev limiter! It does, so watch out!

K, I pulled the codes tonight. It has a few: the DTC it has was my fault and I already knew about it (No voltage drop seen for intake air heaters; P2609. I disconnected the grid heater.....). Then there are three codes in the instrument cluster: S 127 , 285 and C 447. Shane looked them up for me and the two S codes are for the air bags. He also tells me there is a TSB for them. Wonder what that involves? The C 447 is for the A/C Coupler Ring..... What the heck is that? I haven't a clue! (The clutch is all that could set a code and be named something like that by an engineer type! LOL!!)

I looked at my mats today in the light. I am convinced that there is no way they had ahold of the pedal in anyway. There is just no way! Remember I also reached down and felt UNDER the pedal when this was occurring. I felt under the whole length of the pedal where you would put your foot and nothing was touching the bottom of it. I didn't pull up on it except with my foot. I wish I had depressed and released it while this was happening.

So...... it would be nice to know what would have caused this. I will ask our instructor and I will call a few dealerships. If no one has heard of this, I will call Chrysler and see what they say. I would think they would not want this thing running around on it's own at just over 50 mph. We will see....

Only way I think we will see what is causing this is to have a scan tool that displays throttle position hooked up when it happens again. What all tools do that? I don't think the Smarty does (If it does, please tell me how to use it!).

What fun. What I always wanted: a truck with it's own foot on the pedal......

not sure if the 06's are the same as the older ones but you might try re-setting the apps and see if it helps. turn key to "on", (not start) slowly push pedal to the floor and back to 0. turn key off.

Thanks! I forgot about that trick. I will do that and see what happens. In the wrong spot it would be real bad for it to do this again!

I had this problem once as well ( was goosing it on ice last year playing and the throttle went to 3k rpm and stayed for a few seconds till i shut the truck off) turned out my APPS was bad and just replaced it ,was throwing APPS codes as well.....

Don't know for sure but there might be something in the tuning with the smarty--on the 03 and 04 models with a bullydog tuner if the low boost fueling was turned on the trucks would do just what you described. with the low boost turned off it went away--those trucks would do it consitently though and it is a totally different system than the 06-07 trucks, but just a thought.

if you run ALOT of rail pressure itll push some when you let off the throttle till the pressure goes down, but that only takes 2-4 seconds depending on how much fuel you asked for and how much it was delivering when you let off. my truck has done it 100's of times. but it didnt drive itself at 55mph.

Yeah, I have noticed mine has been doing the 'soft return to idle' thing pretty often lately. It may be me; but, it seems like it is doing it more often or more easily than usual..... It will do it completely stock. It is supposed to keep from barking the turbo when you are in high boost and suddenly let off the throttle. My only complaint lately is that the Smarty would bark the turbo pretty bad sometimes when I didn't mean to let off so suddenly.....

I noticed it took at least 7 minutes to load back to stock. The literature says about 2 mins..... I don't care how long it takes really; but, I wonder if this indicates a problem with my computer on my truck? Does anyone else experience about this long of a load time to install a tune with the Smarty?

I had never noticed that. Thanks for the info! Like I said, I don't care how long it takes; I was just wondering if I had found a problem. I also had never put a stopwatch on it before.

Well, so far no more incidents. Which is a good thing! I would just like to know what happened. In the wrong situation, that could be really bad... I will keep looking and let you all know if I find it.

Ok,

If it was the Smarty, that is weird. I put that program in on 10 Nov 08 and about 3,k miles ago. It has been fine all along up until it did this on 26 Dec 08. The Smarty is Ver: 4.06D D: 3.08A

It's just hard. All these different things it could be and I can't nail it down. I would just like to be able to figure out what happened (And to feel better about turning my wife loose with a 'sane' truck and not a deranged one!). Makes me want to go to SW0 on the Smarty (half power) for a while. If that would help lower the power if it ever decides to 'motivate' itself again. Who knows?

K, those instrument codes are: S 127 , 285 and C447

The DTC I got out of her is: P2609 - No volt drop seen from intake air heaters. I concur with this one as I unhooked the grid heater. I would be curious knowing some more info on those three instrument codes.

Here's some trivia for you: about 28,k miles, around 782 hrs and a key count of about 567. How does yours compare?

(Thanks for the replies guys!)

Here's some trivia for you: about 28,k miles, around 782 hrs and a key count of about 567. How does yours compare?

28118 miles, 913 hrs, key count is over 2K... (did you have yours flashed recently?)

No I haven't. Why?

I think the last time it was in was for the new turbo around 10,k or so (I could look it up......). I had to take it back after that because they killed the high idle (the one controlled with the cruise) and they hooked it up to the Star Scan tool. I understood the darn thing does any needed updates when ever it is plugged in: does anyone know for sure?

Your key count just seems very low... I have over 2K cycles in 17K miles... ( I was flashed at ~11K).. You must go on few long drives.

I am not sure on a Star Scan.. thou the Smarty should have all the current software.

You know, you are right! I do try to not short trip it; but, am I that good? Seems to me I got the key count quite a while ago from the dealer when they were plugged in. I think it was the same number! Wonder if I wrote it down somewhere......

What does it mean if it quit counting? They won't be able to accuse me of short tripping it!

This key count was from the Smarty. I seem to remember (From quit a while ago) I took it in and asked the tech what he 'mumbled' about a number. He said he was just reading off data from the Star Scan tool like the key count. I think it was about 562 or something way back then.

I'm gonna have to go back through some papers and see if I can find it. It may be on the paper work they gave me or perhaps I wrote it on that paper.... I'll see if I can locate it. Seems to me that this was right after we bought it new. It struck me at the time because it seemed like a whole lot of 'starts'! Probably typical of a new vehicle sitting on the lot. If this is still the 'true' number from the ECM, then I guess the last laugh is on them. I really do try to not start it just because, and I try to plan my trips so that I don't short trip it. Guess my plan of not getting into trouble with the warranty for making short trips is really working! Doesn't this make each trip well over an hour in length?

This has got me curious..... I think I will have to try and find that earlier count!

I re-read your posts: Are you saying the key count starts over when it is flashed? Is your count for just the last 17,k since the flash or the whole 28,k? I would think a number like this would not be 're-settable' by the dealer so Dodge could know the 'true' history of the vehicle. I would imagine the only way to start over would be with a new ECM (or what ever does the counting).

Questions, questions.........

Wow! I didn't know flashes zeroed the count.... That still seems strange (I guess that's about right for an engineer!). I will look and see the last time they had ahold of it. The Smarty wouldn't be resetting it would it? I have had it on the last setting for over a month.....