theonlyz

What if the worst happens?? (NV5600)

I was told that no parts are available for the nv5600?? Is this true? I find this hard to believe that a transmission so widely used has no parts. So my question if the unthinkable happens what does a guy do?? Is this something I need to be looking for to set on the shelf or what? Are there some good builders out there that offer quality stuff not imported jap parts. Guess I am thinking ahead and looking for input.

Their are parts out there but most of the folks sittin on em know what they're worth so they don't come cheap. Shelf stock is it, no more production on the parts. Everybody has been waitin on the aftermarket to pick up the slack but so far I haven't seen any word on that happening yet.

So yes there are parts out there but they won't be cheap or even fair priced.

To be real honest about it, if you tow heavy down the highway the 5600 is the best tranny in town hands down for these trucks. But for any other application a built 4500 will beat em up. The 4500's shift smoother, high and low gear are the same in both, 4500 weighs far less, is better for racing, better around town manners, parts are cheap and available and any shop around can work on them. None of these things apply to the 5600. I wanted to swap over a few years back and after lookin into it there was no way.

Wow!!! So the best bet is a 4500 it sounds. I dont really pull anything that heavy and if the final drives are the same it sounds like a good transition when and if the time comes. Why is it they still make parts for the 4500 and not the 5600?? How strong of a transmission is it as far as strength and handling hp and tq? Also dont they have a smaller input shaft and flywheel/clutch?

thats all that is changed is the input?? how hard is that to change? is there anything else that should be changed/updated? The swap should be easy as far as everything from the 6speed bolting right up or plugging in right. I wouldnt want any suprises. I am going to need a new clutch soon and I think I will just do the swap then since the clutches arnt cheap

You upgrade to the SB clutch listed in my signature, change the mainshaft in the tranny to one of the aftermarket ones from this guy http://www.quad4x4.com/ and it will handle most anything you can throw at it. He guarantees these shafts to 500hp but they will hold more and the clutch is the same way.

For the conversion you will need to change lengths on your drive shafts, both front and rear and I think you will need a new rubber mount for the cross arm support under the tranny.

I think that covers it. If you read through that site i listed he has all the info you'll need to do this with right there. He's pretty much retired now so his parts are hard to come by if your in a hurry but there's nobody out there that knows more about this stuff.

A 4500 will take as much power as you can probably squeeze out of your engine. Hell the southbend triple disc clutch is rated to 1000 horse and all you need is the bigger input shaft...oh and a bell housing spacer to fit that huge clutch. I would worry about the transfer case before the 4500...when you take care of the clutch end of things its pretty much bulletproof

So Pilot, what did you do on this and if you called Dan what was the outcome. Does he still have parts in stock.

Yes he does and he is working on a 6 speed upgrade kit as well.

Thanks Pilot. Glad to hear the good news. He's the best there is in this business. Looks like my NV4500 is comin back out cause it won't stay in first gear under load. Here comes the next rebuild and more money in Dan's pocket then for parts.

I would also highly recommend his videos for anybody wantin to work on their trannies or are unsure about somethin. I set the video up on the workbench and kept hittin pause. Did the first rebuild not knowin anything about trannies just from his video and callin him a couple times and it held together for several years of hard use. He did a good job of going step by step talkin ya through it all.