lumpdog

The Alaska Journey!

I finally made it back into home last night. In total I was gone from Mountain Home for 7 days. It was a very long trip with some freakin cold!

But everything made it safe and sound with only a couple mechanical issues. Nate's truck and trailer weighed in at 19,500 lbs as well.

Will post up some pics and a trip report once I get pictures. Got lots of stories to tell!

The Alaska highway is an INCREDIBLE drive, but the potential for problems, especially in the winter is pretty high, so good to hear you guys made it safe and sound!

You will have to tell me all about the drive since I will be making it in May.

Marty- Get with me when you get back from the desert. I've driven the Alaska Highway twice, and I plan on going back to AK this summer. I need to get a new drivers license and get my time back there for PFD purposes. I can probably answer most questions you have. Do you have a "Milepost" book yet?

Steve we asked for the Milepost book for Christmas. I have to get a new drivers license from MN before I head up. It has been expired for 5 years now and I dont want to run into any trouble in Cananda. I will deff. get with you when I get back.

We used the Milepost book and it pretty much sucked. Nate and I both agreed it was a waste of money to use one for travel and for finding hotels and restaurants. Now, if you were making the drive for vacation and had lots of time, it would be ok. It does have alot of historic information in it though.

I would have rather just had a couple of good maps.

I am going to be taking my time driving up there. The wife has never been to Canada or on a long road trip like that. We will also have our two dogs and they will need to be let out once in a while.

I am going to be taking my time driving up there. The wife has never been to Canada or on a long road trip like that. We will also have our two dogs and they will need to be let out once in a while.

We traveled with Nate's dog as well, so we had to stop to let him out. For traveling and accomodations, don't rely on the milepost.

The Milepost has lots of historic and local area info which was interesting to read, plus it has lots of scenic sidetrip routes.

I've had good luck using the Milepost, but to each their own! I like it because it tells you what grades are ahead, road surface condition, where the construction projects are, etc.. It may well be worthless for traveling in the winter tho, since most stuff on the route is closed during the late fall-spring.

Yup we found that the Milepost it's really geared toward summer tourist traveling. About the best thing it could be used for is starting a fire if your rig broke down! Or maybe T.P. if your in a real bind.

For sure the road signs are crap. No sign with like a 15% downhill following by a 90* turn but then a ton of signs for what seems like a 2% grade.

Markers for bumps that aren't there and nothing for ones that damn near threw the Blazer off my trailer :td:

Chris thanks for taking the time to come with me. I know you didn't get to see too much of Alaska and I'm sure that the drive wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, but it really make me feel better about the whole trip having someone around in case something happened. Also made things like packing/unpacking in the hotels, fueling, etc alot easier. Plus it was nice to have someone to just b/s with even.. talking to myself gets old really fast. A HUGE THANKS for sure! :cheer:

BTW I hope you liked the Alaskan grandma stripper lady cause... EWWWWwwwwWWWWWWW YUK! Dunno what else you had in your drinks but I'm glad I didn't have any hahaha!

BTW I hope you liked the Alaskan grandma stripper lady cause... EWWWWwwwwWWWWWWW YUK! Dunno what else you had in your drinks but I'm glad I didn't have any hahaha!

Um I think someone has some explaining to do... This sounds like an entertaining story..... :cheer:

Guest ShanesLB7
Um I think someone has some explaining to do... This sounds like an entertaining story..... :cheer:

I don't know any thing with the words "GRANDMA STRIPPER" i want no part of...:wall:

Which one....... LOL...... now that's funny!!!

And to think, you guys had me wishing I could have gone along with.... right up until I read these last two posts.....

Which one......... that's funnier the longer it sinks in.......

(Now, if you are married to her long enough, she will be a 'grandma' as well! If you are nice to her, hopefully she will still..........)