House hauler

'06 stalling

The other day a friend tells and shows me how his truck "stalls" under full throttle, running empty, starting @ under 30mph. He is stock, has 50hp injector tips and K&N. His truck is geared @ 4/11. I rode w/him. The rpm's hit 3200 in 1st gear and then acts like it hits the govenor and defuels. Feels real "soft" until it shifts then feels like it "hooks up". Something just doesn't feel right. I have the same set up but with 3/73 gears and mine is real solid through all accelleration.

Any ideas?

Well the truck starts to defuel at 2900, and really defuels at 3200, could be why he is feeling that. 3200 is the loaded redline on the motor...

Guest ShanesLB7

I would say he is throwing a soft code " overboost" my truck would do it with just the twins and no smarty or anything... if you keep it floorit it buckles or crisp surges ..

I concur with the overboost. It could be he is low on fuel pressure with those tips on, but I doubt he would be draining much fuel pressure without a programer.

Thanks I will pass this on.

Everything on it is stock, except tips, and is exactly the same a my truck except the gearing. I am pretty sure He has had the codes checked but it was by the dealer and well ...............you know. :wall:

He just told me that it doesn't hit the gov. if he has a load on.

It acts like the tranny doesn't shift fast enough when empty....hits the gov and shuts down until it can process the info then runs great.

Good times in the computer world.

Is he putting the pedal down somewhat slowly or getting it there fast and holding it? I have noticed on mine, if I move the pedal when it has already 'decided' to do something that is messes it up. Like it hasn't had time to process your 'new' request and act on it. These new computers are fast, but you can still tell when there is a lag between what is should do and what it has time to get done. Could just be it is getting to red line too fast and it trying too many things to compensate for it......

The other day a friend tells and shows me how his truck "stalls" under full throttle, running empty, starting @ under 30mph. He is stock, has 50hp injector tips and K&N. His truck is geared @ 4/11. I rode w/him. The rpm's hit 3200 in 1st gear and then acts like it hits the govenor and defuels. Feels real "soft" until it shifts then feels like it "hooks up". Something just doesn't feel right. I have the same set up but with 3/73 gears and mine is real solid through all accelleration.

Any ideas?

Thats normal for an unmodified engine and transmission, especially with the 4.11 gears. The 3200 is is engine governor and once it hits that it derates the fuel drastically until 300-500 rpm drop then ramps it up again. Its not and instant ramp up so everything feels soft. Gov pressure solenoid and transducer will also cause it to hit and hang before it shifts correctly. Typical problem. all built in fail safes to keep things in one piece.