D/UNIT

(any ideas) 98 24v running rough

A friend of mine took a truck to get detailed today and when he picked it up the engine ran fine for a few seconds then started running rough(no power and sounds like its miss firing ). he figured it got some water in one of the connectors, so he sprayed em with wd-40 and blew em out but it still does it. could the ecm have gotten water in it? and would it act like this if it had?

what are some things to check?

Thanks

If they sprayed that engine compartment the possibilities are endless. I made that mistake one time and ended up just pullin truck into the shop and pointed the salamander heater in the front end and just let it dry out.

I have steamed a thousand motors, and I have learned that Ford, Toyota gassers, kill easy...the rest are pretty tough, especially diesels..... never have I ever killed a dismal.... let me dwell on this, and call a guy tomorrow, not a tech, just the most knowledgable guy of how to: anyhting pertaining to detail from killing the motor, to getting blood out of seats (chix leak, sucks)... see if I can't have a solution.

nope I received a call from him last night and he asked if id post for him, he had somebody tell him it could be a TPS. he is going to take it to diesel injection service on monday.

I tried the same thing of sprayin all the connections I could find and it still ran like hell so I just had to let it dry out and then it was fine. I suspect water in the ecm connections but had no way to really no that for sure.

On newer trucks I'm sure everything is good and sealed but this old truck a mine has been well used through years and I'm sure that all those wires and connectors ain't quit as sealed as they used to be.

A friend of mine took a truck to get detailed today and when he picked it up the engine ran fine for a few seconds then started running rough(no power and sounds like its miss firing ). he figured it got some water in one of the connectors, so he sprayed em with wd-40 and blew em out but it still does it. could the ecm have gotten water in it? and would it act like this if it had?

what are some things to check?

Thanks

I start out with the basic diagnostic checks...

1. Check for error codes..

2. Check for good fuel pressure...

Turns out he wasnt getting power to the fass pump and once he got that done it ran great.
I start out with the basic diagnostic checks...

1. Check for error codes..

2. Check for good fuel pressure...

Looks like it was the fuel pressure. :thumbup: