• Snap-On
    • Matco
    • Mac
    • Cornwell
    • Proto
    • SK
    • Craftsman
    • Other

Yeah, I gotta admit most of my tools are Craftsman. E-Bay has some pretty decent tool buys every now and then. I've bought a few high end tools there. It's really the only way I'm going to end up with the higher end stuff without really pissing off the wife!

You know I don't think there is one brand that is better or worse the the other as a whole.

My tools are a mix of many brands from Craftsman, Snap On, Matco, Harbor Freight, Stanley, etc.

I think it all comes down to personal perference and I wouldn't let the brand decide for me if it's a good tool or not.

I like Snap On ratchets, but hate their wrenches for example.

Lot of the more specialized tools are just OTC brand that have been rebadged. I was looking at a thread chaser set which is an OTC product. The Snap On version was 3x the cost of the Craftsman version... SAME exact thing other than the label!

Guest ShanesLB7

Yeah I am a barkyard mechanic so all craftsman for now.. I'd love a full on snap on tool kit or hell even a craftsman kit

Guest POWERTRIP

I use all craftsman at work. Not to far away and have never had a problem with there warranty. Plus the price aint bad. Thought about goin with some of the bigger name brands but couldnt bring myself to payin out the ass for a name.

I make my living with my tools, so nothing but the best. I have mix of Snap On and Mac tools. Most of my hand tools are Snap On, most of my air tools are Mac. I prefer the Snap on wrenches, sockets, and ratchets over any other for strength and durability.

Now, in my other tool box is a mix of Snap On, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Napa, Schuck's, etc.

Most people probably don't have almost $25,000 wrapped up tools though, can't believe I have spent that much. That was a conservative figure from a couple of years ago when I added up receipts for insurance coverage. Probably pushing the 30k mark by now.

I have a mix of craftsman, snap-on, cornwell, matco, and a few SK. As for my prefrence Im going to have to go with matco or cornwell. Although I have not found a wrench that can compare with snap-on flank drive. to me it comes down to the person who runs the tool truck. No problems with matco or cornwell, but snap-on guy dont like to waranty

Im not a brand baby. It it works it works. I hate tool trucks all they do is screw you but sometimes that is where you have to buy the special stuff. As Far as boxes go I have 2 stainless boxes from costco and ready to buy a third. I have a mix of everything mac snapon Johndeere cornhole stanley everything you can think of. I passed the 25k mark a long time ago. Course if you want to get picky my tooks equal a little over a half a million....Ha Ha not all hand tools

You say that Chris, but my Dad makes a living with his tools as well (millwright at an OSB mill) and a lot of what he has is Craftsman or Harbor Freight stuff.

He is tough on his tools... most everyone in the Sears tool dept knows him by name.

He found it was much less of a hassle running over to Sears vs trying to track down a tool truck and hoping they would exchange it and not give the "it's been abused... no warranty" story.

I had the same issue at work with Snap On which is why we are with Matco now. I have some #2 phillips bits from a Snap On kit and it's been about 4 months now with no replacement yet. Turned in a few screwdrivers that snapped the tip... the handles were worn so Tyler said he'd get a whole new one. The shank comes in with no handles and all of a sudden he never took the handles - we are supposed to keep them.

I make my living with my tools, so nothing but the best.

I make that statement because a broken tool costs a mechanic time and money. You break a tool or round a bolt or nut with a lesser quality tool just once, and it was never worth the lesser cost. I have broken a lot of Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Stanley, etc. tools, and although most can be warrantied, the time out of my day it would take to go to a specific store to warranty them wasn't worth it. Knowing that the truck was going to be there on a certain day to warranty tools at virtually no time loss to me was priceless. When working flat rate, time is money. If the tools don't perform 100%, then the money came out of my pocket and no one else's.

That being said. Now that I work for my family's business, I get paid hourly. So if a tool breaks or if a bolt head rounds, it doesn't cost me any money to spend extra time to deal with it. But the PITA a cheap tool can make, it is still not worth it for the common hand tools sizes.

And as far as money goes, I am sure I have spent way more than what I have listed, but I was trying to be conservative.... $$$ Although in the past couple of years I have found very few tools to buy, nothing I really need at this point. I walk on the tool trucks, look around, and leave.

I make that statement because a broken tool costs a mechanic time and money. You break a tool or round a bolt or nut with a lesser quality tool just once, and it was never worth the lesser cost. I have broken a lot of Craftsman, Harbor Freight, Stanley, etc. tools, and although most can be warrantied, the time out of my day it would take to go to a specific store to warranty them wasn't worth it. Knowing that the truck was going to be there on a certain day to warranty tools at virtually no time loss to me was priceless. When working flat rate, time is money. If the tools don't perform 100%, then the money came out of my pocket and no one else's.

That being said. Now that I work for my family's business, I get paid hourly. So if a tool breaks or if a bolt head rounds, it doesn't cost me any money to spend extra time to deal with it. But the PITA a cheap tool can make, it is still not worth it for the common hand tools sizes.

And as far as money goes, I am sure I have spent way more than what I have listed, but I was trying to be conservative.... $$$ Although in the past couple of years I have found very few tools to buy, nothing I really need at this point. I walk on the tool trucks, look around, and leave.

X2

I'm with Chris when time is money having the best tools you can get is worth it everytime, I've got a little matco, a little snap-on, a fair bit of mac, but most of my stuff most of you wouldn't have heard of, T&E tools that I get from a company out in chicago, I'd put the quality right next to mac or strapon but cheaper than craftsman and an unconditional lifetime guarantee, although it is a pain to have to call them and have them ship me a new tool when I break something.

i have a mixture of em all. but most of mine are snap on. when i was in college i got 60% off tools so i bought a starter set and some add ons. was still expensive, but i couldn't resest @ 60% off, i saved $3000 on the set i got and tool box.

Mostly craftsman for me because that is all I need. I think Snap-On and Mac are excellent tools, but I just plain can't justify the price for how much I use them. For a professional, then that's a different story.