SgtSlaughter

High Idle after running on highway

I have a 01 Dodge TD, stock except for a K&N and no muffler (3"). I typically use it for hauling the car trailer or horse trailer and this is typically on the highway to Firebird etc. What has started to happen is that after a continuous cruise on the highway the idle seems to be around 1100 when I come to a stop. The cable doesn't seem to be the problem because I turn it off and start it later and it idles normally. Seems it only happens on extended cruises. Around town it doesn't manifest itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Oops, sorry I was in the wrong forum, can one of the mods move it to drivetrain?

what does it use to move the apps if there is no cable? I know on the 3rd gens the "APPS" is on the actual pedal arm, but I thought all the 24v 2nd gens used a bell crank with the APPS mounted to that?

Theres no throttle cable on an 01.

I believe the idle is controlled by the ECM.

Have you checked it for codes?

fly by wire is used on aircraft for the flight controls. I know the Cummins trucks haul ass, but they aren't that fast! :lol:

Drive by wire is what cars use though.

My 01 1/2 has a throttle cable too,it's not fly by wire...I think common rails might be.

I hate to go against Dr.Evil on this one.

No I was wrong there - it was late and I was stuck on the base idle being controlled by the ECM - didnt even really think about the APPS being involved. I also didnt really read the original post very closely.

Throttlecable.jpg

fly by wire is used on aircraft for the flight controls. I know the Cummins trucks haul ass, but they aren't that fast! :lol:

Drive by wire is what cars use though.

You know what I mean!

I don't care what anybody else say's here, this thread's got me excited. Better then a decade I been watchin Doc's postings and in that time I had yet to catch him on anything, by god I knew he was human. DR. EVIL WAS WRONG, HE WAS WRONG.:bouncy:yes::buds:

My 01 1/2 has a throttle cable too,it's not fly by wire...I think common rails might be.

I hate to go against Dr.Evil on this one.

Not all common rails, there are some with engine mounted APPS on them... Luckily I don't have one :D

I would see if there is something that can recalibrate the APPS, it might think its not at the idle position.

I don't care what anybody else say's here, this thread's got me excited. Better then a decade I been watchin Doc's postings and in that time I had yet to catch him on anything, by god I knew he was human. DR. EVIL WAS WRONG, HE WAS WRONG.:bouncy:yes::buds:

A decade....lol...Ive only been on diesel sites since '03