Sign in to follow this  
dodgeracerss

what torque converter do we need?

a friend is getting a new chip for his truck and he asked what kind of torque converter he should get if any ill have to find out what his chip is rated any ideas i know its 100 plus horse thanks guys :thumbup:

Guest Smokin Monster

It mostly depends on what he is going to do with it: towing, daily driving, sled pulling, racing. This will be more of your deciding factor than the specific chip.

Guest Mopar1973Man

Smokin Monster has a point... Finding a TQ converter that will cover the amount of HP/TQ your engine is putting out now is one thing. But what you plan on doing with it for the life of it is another. Daily driver won't need as tough of TQ converter say a 1/4 mile drag racer would...

hey smokey we haul trailers some big loads and he wants to chip his truck what the most hp he can put to a stock torque converter? and ya like i said we tow alot :thumbup: hes not much in to raceing thanks

Guest Smokin Monster

I personally would not stay with a stock torque converter very long in a heavy towing application. If you are not towing heavy all day every day then you could probably get by with a small 50-60 hp chip. I wouldn't push it much farther than that. They build those automatics and torque converters to factory power levels and that is about it. I really like Suncoast converters. That is what I have in my 04. Other good options to look into would be ATS, BD or yes, even Gale Banks.

You need something around 1600rpm stall speed with 89% effeciency or 91%( it will shift real hard though) If you got the money get a triple disk lockup clutch. And if you do all this you have to get a valve body to keep the tranny in check behind that good converter :thumbup: