• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Tuffenuf4u

2nd Gen Steering Box Stabilizer..

Has anybody purchased that Steering box stabilizer ive seen in a few places? the one that goes between the frame wells under the stabilizer and has a bearing that goes off the steering gear? ive thought about building my own, not sure if its worth the money...:wave:

I suspect that fabbin one up yourself probably wouldn't save much money over the purchase price by the time you bought the steel, bearings and bolts and that doesn't even take into account anything for your time that I'm sure is worth money also. This is assuming that your fist attempt even came out right and you didn't have to build a few to get it down. If I had one sittin here as a pattern it would be a breeze.

The cheapest place I've found em is PSC Steering. But they are completely mixed reviews on if they help or not. Some guys love em and think they're great and other say they do more harm then good.

yeah, it looked like a pretty simple design and i could probably get the bearing from a farm ag store around here, wasnt sure if it is worth the effort although, Diesel Tech mag did an article on an install on it but did hear about long term reviews if it helped or not. im actually suprised if nobody on here has tried it....

I've had the chance to drive Nate's truck a couple of times. It is hands down the best driving second gen I have ever experienced. We had several stock rigs that always drive crappy, and Nates has a spacer lift and works great. I don't know if it is from the brace or not, but something makes his different.

Well mine drives like shit and i am going to make me one. The only part that will be hard is you replace the nut with a threaded shaft. so when i do mine i will make me some extras

SB-100-sm_LRG.jpg

By far the biggest improvement I made in my truck after rebuilding the complete front end was the PSC steering gear. That one piece made the night and day difference. No more slop and play, and I can steer with one finger now.

Well mine drives like shit and i am going to make me one. The only part that will be hard is you replace the nut with a threaded shaft. so when i do mine i will make me some extras

SB-100-sm_LRG.jpg

if you have the nut with threaded shaft machined by somebody, ill kick up some $ to have one made for mine, let me know, the rest of it is pretty basic fabrication..

The hole for the steering gear mount will be the only tough one, it has to be right smack on the money or your gonna pull that gear. Not impossible just a pain. If your gonna build one a these I would also suggest makin it out of some better steel then the commercial ones use. Some 3/16ths walled box would make a good stiff mount.

Not sure if it helped since I put a new steering box at the same time.

My truck drives really nice now that I put a different steering shaft on. The old one was ready to fall off.

PSC.

I bought one for my Jeep back in 02 or 03 and I was really happy with it, so I picked the same for the truck. I got it with "caddy" valving as they call it so it's real easy to turn.

Before with the stock box my wrists/arms would get tired on long trips and you really had to use both hands to turn when going slow.

Guest ShanesLB7
Mine does not steer hard at all i just have a lot of play in the shaft.

hahaha Thats what your wife told me too!!!!:dodge:gmc:cheer:

If there is play in the sector shaft, the stabilizer may be a bandaid fix for a while, but ultimately it's going to be time to rebuild the box or get a new one. The stabilizer just helps the box last longer.