• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
lumpdog

HE351 questions

So I traded the HY35 I got from Steve for a HE351 last night. The new turbo is supposed to have only 3,000 miles on it, it is pretty clean. But there is a port on the turbine housing that looks like a solenoid or something is supposed to screw into. It looks like it would control the wastegate somehow.

Anyone know how to bypass it? Or what it does?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Man, trying to find info on these turbos kinda sucks. Too many ricers using these turbos on their rides.

So the solenoid I am missing is the boost controller. By looking at the turbo, it appears that the solenoid is an electronic version of a boost elbow. That is, it can only raise boost by blocking air to the wastegate.

Trying to see if someone makes a machined plug to replace the boost solenoid.

I was thinking that as well, since the shop right next to me is a machinist. It works out really well, and he gives me good prices since I hook him up with work.

I am just having a hard time finding any good info on this turbo, other than ricer threads, and their info differs from one site to another.

Hey Chris, search "stocker vs. stocker" on DTR. Thats where I found most of my info on the 351. If you want to take a look at mine, let me know. Basically, you'll plug where the electronic controller is and put an adjustable wastegate in there.

It is a double stepped port that is about 3/4" big I think. It has an opening to the boost side, an opening to the wastegate, and an opening to the filter side of the housing.

The difference in the two is the electronic wastegate and a 60mm compressor for the HE. The HY has a 54 or 56mm compressor. The elctronic wastegate is 22mm x 1.5 thread and it is tapered at the top for a o-ring. So if you could find a flange head bolt short enough (you might have to cut the threads off just below the head of the bolt for the o-ring) and the correct o-ring you could weld the outlet tube closed and screw the bolt in. Then you'd have to drill and tap the housing 1/8" NPT to put an adjustable elbow in to control boost.

The difference in the two is the electronic wastegate and a 60mm compressor for the HE. The HY has a 54 or 56mm compressor. The elctronic wastegate is 22mm x 1.5 thread and it is tapered at the top for a o-ring. So if you could find a flange head bolt short enough (you might have to cut the threads off just below the head of the bolt for the o-ring) and the correct o-ring you could weld the outlet tube closed and screw the bolt in. Then you'd have to drill and tap the housing 1/8" NPT to put an adjustable elbow in to control boost.

Thanks Nathan, that is kind of what I was thinking as well! Will get on it and post some pics along the way.

This sounds like de ja vu.... oh yeah, we talked about it on the phone yesterday :D:dodge

Doing some reading it seems TST used to sell a kit to add a boost elbow to the HE351. Instead of drilling and tapping the housing they just ran a boost line from the intake, via a boost bolt. I think I am going to try this, set my WG to be fully open around 35psi.. Should help the turbo last longer, and keep drive pressures lower while towing..