Sign in to follow this  
dctoner

KDP or KBolt

:( Well it looks like I get to dig in and see what 235K looks like on this engine of mine.

Of course I was planning on getting the KDP fixed in March when life was a little slower and better weather. So much for plans :x

This past Friday I took work off to take my wife skiing, tradition for valentines day, when we were putting the skii's back in the truck and pealing off some layers of clothes I started the truck to let it warm up. About a minute later I hear this light thump, it sounded like Ice and snow that was built up in the fender well dropping on the tire. Asked my wife if she heard it and she said no, so I passed it off as no big deal. Truck ran great all the way home, absolutely no problems odd noises or anything else.

Saturday when I was putting my old stereo in the truck I notice a larger than normal oil spot on the driveway, so I grabbed the creeper and crawled under the truck to find out where the oil was coming from, and oil was dripping from just about everything under there. Last night I borrowed a pressure washer and cleaned off all the build up, took it for a short drive and found the oil leak, coming right out of the crack in the timing housing :(

Parts are on order, hopefully I will get them by Saturday to start the tear down.

So any of you that haven't taken care of this problem, it is real and it does happen.

Bolt or dowel pin they both can do the damage. :smart:

:poke

yep,,,,ive witnessed the carnage from dowel pins and bolts. it can happen any time or mileage. some as little as 60,000 but my 600,000 miler the pin hadnt moved and all bolts were tight.

i took a 95 to harolds this week. harold removed the cover and i cldnt believe my eyes. the dowel pin was nearly all the way out. one more pothole and it wldve fell out. you cld blow on it and it wld fall. watch for pics shrtly

Guest 9812VCTD

Man I really need to contact the original owner of my truck to find out if he had this taken care of or not!

Justin

wish folks who tab or jig em wld put a sticker on. participated on a really nice 97 lst week w/70,000 orig miles. harold got in there to find some home made tab.

this truck was already bombed w/ plate and guages. someone in the know had it obviously. since your rig was pretty much bombed may be your truck has been tabbed justin. i wouldnt take a chance tho. esp after seein the bad results of chance takers

Well the KDP kills again.

Saturday it took 2 of us 5 hours to get everything tore down, now I'm just waiting for the parts. Hopefully I should have all the parts by Friday so I can get it back on the road.

By the way the nuts holding the IP on are a PIA to get to.

CAM is in great shape should be good for many more miles 8)

Took some pics, I will try to have them up later.

yep,,,,what a project.

just curious,,,the bolts holding on the gear case,,,,,was there locktite or a brown thread sealant on them. were they tight?????

hope it goes easy for you

Nope no locktite on any of the bolts, the bolt next to the dowel Pin didn't seem like it was as tight as the rest but it wasn't loose by any means.

fyrcaptain33,

KDP stands for Killer Dowel pin, and KBolt Killer Bolt

In the 6th and 8th pictures you can see a bold and the whole where the dowel pin was. the vibration of these engines can cause the pin to come out and fall into the engine like it did mine. The bolts have also been known to come out. You can see the damage it causes in the pics. I got lucky it didn't destroy any of the gears.

idahobomber member, harold bowers makes tab kits btw. rvhvnfn@juno.com come w/ instructions and all ya need.

as to the locktite,,,,,,,,,, usually on the 2nd gens there is a small amnt of brown thrwead sealant. usually a very small amnt but nearly always there. wonderin if ya scrutinize the bolts ya may see it. seems as if none of the 1st gens had any thread sealant. but all 2nd gens are supposed to

Guest 9812VCTD

Glad your damage was minimal, thanks for the pics hope the rest of your project goes well!

Justin

I will take a closer look when we put it back together Saturday.

well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, did ya see traces of a brown thread sealer?????

twas quite a prjct. glad ya got er dun ok.

hang on to that gearcase to use in our missionary work to teach non believers in the evils of an un-retained kdp :smart:

Sorry Muddy,

Yes there was a small trace of thread sealer on the bolts. There is actually an upgrade for the bolts for the case, the head is a little bigger so there is more contact surface from the bolt to the case.

Only had one screw up with the whole project. Put the plastic cover on with out hooking up the windshield washer nozzles back up. :nono:

the hardest part of the job we getting the lift pump back on. what a PIA

Definitely glad I had someone with experience help me out. Big thanks to the FIL

ya, I still have the housing and will be cleaning it up and mounting it on the garage wall. The KDP will be with it.

The pictures I posted can definitely attest the evil that little pin can cause.

if any of you guys would like to get rid of a cracked p-pump timing cover let me know. wouldnt take much to fix one :wink: then id be 1 step closer to having a p-pumped 1st gen