• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

I've got a friend that has a 91 Ford gasser 3/4 ton 4x4 that broke the rear center section of the rear axle. This is a truck back on the ranch that I worked at for years. The parts have to be flown out and back in. Getting spotty info. Seems the rear end locked up and the driver put it in 4x4 and went forward until bang, the rear end broke. Removed the cover and pieces of gears fell out.

Now I'm thinking they have to pull the axles and pull out the center section and either have it rebuilt or a scrap yard one to throw in. Can you pull the center section on those rear ends, out the front, whole? Anyone know of a used one around or contacts for repair?

Thanks,

Rob

Pull cover, undo 4 bolts that hold carrier bearing caps and the diff comes out.

will have to bring whole axle or truck in to get it fixed.

Yup it'd be the same. Pic that Jake put up will probably make more sense then how I explained it in the other post.

Sounds like you are thinking of an axle with a removable 3rd member or "drop out" Not too many trucks have that setup. Eaton H072, Ford 9", & most Toyota axles are the more common ones.

Shoot, I messed up. It's a 1991 truck, is this the same Nate?

like steve said any local salvage yard will probably have one I know Barger Matsen in Mtn Home has a wrecked 96 PSD, very similiar if not same rearend, just make sure to get the right gear ratio

since you guys are on the topic of rear ends i have a question for you. My 2004 ford has a dash switch to put the truck in 4x4, someththing went wrong and now i have to lock the hubs in and turn the switch. the switch isnt locking in the hubs like it should. I just replaced the ball joints a year ago and when i did that i put brand new vacuum seals in it and it worked fine till ths winter. the truck did some grinding noise when you would lock it in.