• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
jfranks

Truck has no power!

Hi everybody,

My truck is lacking power and running a little hot when I put a load on it. Well not much of a load, I pulled my jeep last weekend with a towbar and it pulled me down to 40MPH and the temp started climbing. Had same problem 2yrs ago when I towed it on a trailer. Trans went out shortly after that, replaced it and thought I had it fixed. Haven't driven it much till last weekend, runs fine with no load on it.Any ideas?:wall:

Is there a blue oval on the grille? :lol: Sorry, I had to! Seriously though, a few years ago I got a really bad tank of fuel in Yukon Territory an went thru 2 fuel filters before I got the shit filtered out (I don't know if it was bacteria or what, a little water came out when I drained the bowl as well). I knew fairly quickly that my filter was plugged because I wasn't far down the road from the station when it happened. By the time I got to Whitehorse the truck was running good again. Just something to check if you haven't already. I don't know much about Fords, but we have a lot of Ford guru's here that I'm sure can help you out...

I changed the filter and replaced all the return lines and o-rings on the injectors about a year ago, haven't put many miles on it since then.Planning on changing the filter this weekend anyway.

We were having very similar issues on a truck at work. So we yanked the injectors and sent them up to be tested. Gem State rebuilt them all, and it made a huge difference. So then we sent up the injection pump to have it looked at, they freshened it up and now it has way more power than before, starts easier, runs quieter, and the overall temps have dropped to a normal level when loaded.

Thanks for the info, I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow and checking the glow plugs. Its been getting harder to crank. What does it cost to have injectors and pump tested and rebuilt?

Thanks for the info, I'm changing the fuel filter tomorrow and checking the glow plugs. Its been getting harder to crank. What does it cost to have injectors and pump tested and rebuilt?

I think they charged us like $25 an injector to service them.

The pump was uner $300 IIRC. We just did this last month by the way too.

No idea, I am not a Ford guy, or a diesel guy really. Depends on what you want from the truck.

For the money, rebuilding the injectors was well worth it. It was a one day turn around on them as well.

Hi guys,

I changed the fuel filter and cleaned all the connections on the glow plugs and relay. Now it starts right up every time and feels a little stronger. Won't know for sure till I put a load on it ,but I'm happy for now. I also wired a LED to my glow plug relay, that was a great idea, thanks!

The glow plugs turn on for a few seconds and then turn on and off 5 to 10 times.Does this sound right or do I have a bad timer? I did find 1 glow plug that was bad. I'll replace it later this week. Thanks again!

whatever you do dont go to gemstate, they ruined our 1992 IDI, go Lake City International, youre about due for a fuel system service. Thats what we did to the 92 and Gemstate put 6 bad injectors and a bad pump in it, then kept saying it was smokey cuz it was old, they dont respect our "old beat up" trucks. Thanks to them the cylinders were wetwashed (wet walled) and the truck was traded in with 150000miles on it completely toast

Just my advice

hey guys new to this forum.have you adjusted your FIPL?how does your truck shift?if its shifting early that may be a part of the problem.i know it helped mine when i adjusted it for towing