• Upcoming Events

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

YMMOT

Neutral vs Drive at a stoplight?

Putting the vehicle in neutral will save fuel vs leaving the car in Drive.  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Putting the vehicle in neutral will save fuel vs leaving the car in Drive.

• True
    • False

You have the following scenario:

Vehicle with an automatic transmission.

You are sitting at a traffic light that stays red for a long time.

You want to save a little fuel.

True or false?

Putting the vehicle will save fuel vs leaving the car in Drive.

I drive a manual, BUT, I would guess that by putting the auto trans in neutral, there is no load on the engine and mileage would be slightly better? Do I win a prize?

I think neutral would help mpg. but it would be very minor. Turning it off wouldn't as bad if it was warm then if it was a cold start, but granted it would be a bad idea if you did it alot.

I'd say you save a bit of fuel.

The BIG thing though is trans temps. No reason to heat up the trans if your going to be waiting at a light for a long time.

Another question if the load increases, but the RPM stays the same; does that therefore mean that more fuel is being consumed?
I have never done any testing or read any reports, but I would guess that if you put a car/truck in neutral while stopped it will consume a little bit less fuel than when in gear. I doubt it would amount to much, but I could see maybe a small gain. It would probably have to be checked over several tanks and at least a couple thousand miles of purely city driving. If you increase load and keep RPMs the same, I would think fuel consumption would have to go up just a little. I might have to hook up my black box and see what the injected fuel quantity does when my truck goes from neutral to drive.

I would say yes, fuel delivery would change.

To maintain rpm with load, more power must be made, which eats fuel.

And Nate's got a good point with heat buildup, which in turn is a loss in power.

the longest red light around here is 1 minute at the most!!!! love small towns :train:

what is this red light you speak of. i avoid the big city like tha plague but if i am forced to go there and get detained by the red light i do put my auto tranny in the 'N' position, not for the fuel savings but to try to make the trans live longer. obviously that saves fuel. not worth it for a 30 second lite but any more than that, yep

on manuals i of course stick er in neutral and remove foot from clutch pedal to make it easier on the vehicle and my bad knee. i delay people a bit when the light changes but they dont pay my bills so piss on em :train:

josh, be interested in seeing what ya find w/ the black box hooked up

Go Muddy! Is there even a stoplight in Owyhee county? I seem to remember many years up in Silver City when they put up the "only stoplight in Owyhee County" and pulled everyone over to donate to the Silver City rescue fund or something.

So Tommy, you said you were seeing gains in mileage? How much and over what period of time?

I would guess you would save fuel, but depending on the tranny some do not run fluid to the cooler in N, only P and in gear... not sure about any of the trannies behind the diesels thou.

I was gonna say.. I though in Park it wasn't flowing fluid. I was always taught if your trans got hot to park the vehicle in Neutral and elevate the idle slightly.