• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

lumpdog

First Gen 12V CTD into Chevy 4 Door

I started off with a complete 1992 Dodge W250 with the hopes of eventually transplanting the drivetrain into a 1987 Chevy K30.

I slowly worked on fixing leaks and issues with the motor, and tuned it some with the help of Brian (92d/unit). I also rebuilt the trans with some goodies, and resealed the tcase in the mean time. 2 weeks ago I finally pulled the engine out of the Dodge and started fabbing it into the Chevy.

The Chevy was originally a dually, 6.2 diesel, T400, 4x4, with 4.56 gears. It now is a single wheel 4x4 with a 4" lift and 35's with 4.10 gears in it. Also has the locking rear axle.

In one day, we finished parting out a 95 parts truck that I had, pulled in and parted out the Dodge, and had the motor and transmission mocked up into the Chevy. I had acquired several different motor mount configurations for this swap: stock first gen, 12V second gen, and 24V mounts. After much trial and error, the second Gen 12v mounts were selected for several reasons. First, they sit in the middle of the motor to better balance the block in the truck. Second, they gave the most room for the starter and power steering pump. I cut the motor mount buckets out of the 95 frame and used them for the starting point of the engine mounts.

The motor sits off center to the drivers side to allow for A/C, Exhaust, differential, and driveline clearance. It also sits a bit lower in the chassis then most conversions I have seen by about 1".

No pics of the installed motor just yet, didn't get any that night, but here is the project as of now. In the next few weeks I hope to get some more pics posted.

Here are a couple of pics to start:

th_IMG_2790.jpg th_IMG_2791.jpg th_cummins001.jpg th_cummins004.jpg

th_cummins005.jpg th_cummins006.jpg th_P1010193.jpg th_P1010192.jpg

I still have a bunch of work to do to the motor and transmission. I am going to replace the headgasket, reseal the timing cover, pressure wash and paint the engine.

I am going to inspect the transmission and fix where needed, as well as paint it and the tcase.

Here are a couple of pics that got the truck to where it is now.

th_IMG_0702-1.jpg th_IMG_0703-1.jpg th_IMG_0712-1.jpg

th_IMG_0715-1.jpg th_IMG_2793.jpg

Cool project..i would love to find a set of h2 wheels.

Found these local for $35 bucks each, would like to find another set for my blazer as well.

Found these local for $35 bucks each, would like to find another set for my blazer as well.

found a set of 4 at Dillons in Caldwell, they said $250 a piece.. I said could be found for $50 or less regularly... Thanks for validating that, was starting to doubt myself.

If all goes well with mine a ctd powerd crew cab chev is in my future. Are you using the tranny and t-case in your sig? Very cool project btw, also looks like your well equipped for the job.

Thanks!

I have been taking some cues off of your blazer as well. I am using the 518 and Dodge 205 for it. I am also using a second gen radiator and intercooler with a 91 style grille. Hopefully it will all come together soon.

just a word of help, i think. U might look into a body lift to help with clearance issues. we have 2 Chevy conversions and one has no lift and its aa PITA to work on and the other has alot of custom parts and a 3 inch body lift and the motor fits beautifully. As well as using a 2nd gen intercooler that fits perfectly around the stock aluminum radiator in the 84. Not tryin to take away from your conversion but hopefully these pics will help you with your conversion. http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x155/Dieselwrencher/1984%20chevy%20restoration/?start=all Im just linking to the entire album cuz there are way too many pics to put in here. If you have any wuestions or i can help please feel free to get ahold of me. Nick

Guest ShanesLB7

man i wish i had time to do something like that... Very nice work.. I can't wait to see the end results!!:dodge

just a word of help, i think. U might look into a body lift to help with clearance issues. we have 2 Chevy conversions and one has no lift and its aa PITA to work on and the other has alot of custom parts and a 3 inch body lift and the motor fits beautifully. As well as using a 2nd gen intercooler that fits perfectly around the stock aluminum radiator in the 84. Not tryin to take away from your conversion but hopefully these pics will help you with your conversion. http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x155/Dieselwrencher/1984%20chevy%20restoration/?start=all Im just linking to the entire album cuz there are way too many pics to put in here. If you have any wuestions or i can help please feel free to get ahold of me. Nick

Actually, as of right now, I don't have any clearance issues. The fan, head exhaust, power steering, a/c, trans,and tcase all clear with lots of room. The only thing that may have to be custom is the intake horn. Because I dropped the motor and moved it towards the drivers side a bunch, the first gen horn shoots right at the master cylinder. So I think I am going to make my own out of steel that is kind of similar to the swank one, except mine may have to come out the front first.

I have the 95 "horseshoe" radiator mount/core support that I am going to try to graft into the 91 chevy core support. My biggest problem with using the 91 grille is the side by side headlights, which doesn't leave a whole lot of room for the massive second gen intercooler, but I will make it work.

Do you have any pics of your truck finished? I didn't see any on the album.

Thanks Shane, it is a fun project, I just wish I had more time right now to get it done.

And Jake, that picture is from a long time ago, Mom's van is up and running like a champ!

........ Mom's van is up and running like a champ!

Thanks for clearing that up! I wouldn't want to think that mom was left afoot while you horsed around on something not nearly as important:poke:

Actually, as of right now, I don't have any clearance issues. The fan, head exhaust, power steering, a/c, trans,and tcase all clear with lots of room. The only thing that may have to be custom is the intake horn. Because I dropped the motor and moved it towards the drivers side a bunch, the first gen horn shoots right at the master cylinder. So I think I am going to make my own out of steel that is kind of similar to the swank one, except mine may have to come out the front first.

I used a 45 degree adaptor and cut the stock 92 I/C piping so I could rotate it where I wanted it.

HPIM2083.jpg

I don't think that setup would work for me. The intake is a lot closer to the master on mine than your pics shows. It is offset a good 2 inches from center. Plus, I am using the 2nd gen intercooler which needs different sized piping then the first gen uses.

Have you run the exhaust from your turbo yet? I have a few different downpipes, and a 45 degree adapter from a 98.

I have the stock 92 down pipe plus the entire exhaust off a 04 4dr sb truck in 4" that I will use as much as possible. I also have a pdr flange that goes from an hx35 flange to a hx40 flange that I might weld on a 4" 90 or maybe find a hx40 downpipe and modify it.

I havent got that far yet but have collected parts as deals have become available.

I havent got that far yet but have collected parts as deals have become available.

That sounds just like I build my junk, I just wait for a deal to find me.

Updates.....It's still not done. But the motor mounts and floor are getting welded in as I type!!! Hell Yeah!!!!

Mini Bomb party at my shop to stab a Cummins in a Chebby soon!

long time waitin for this prjct to be complete........ cant wait for the mini bomb and cnt wait to see the rig runnin down the rd :cheer: