• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
PALADIN

Boost Fooler on an '03

I'm getting ready to put an '04.5 HE351 turbo on my '03. It has an adjustable wastegate on it, modified from the electronic one. I am running a Quad Xzillaraider on the truck. If I remember right, the Xzilaraider does boost fooling, so another boost fooler would be redundant, right? Or will I start popping overboost codes? Thanks.

The Xzillaraider boost fools, so you should be fine. No need for another product that boost fools also.

Thanks! I got the turbo and manifold on tonite. I'm still only getting 26-27 psi and the wastegate screw is turned in all the way, so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing higher numbers? Maybe I need more fuel?

Also, to those interested: This turbo and manifold feels STRONG compared to the POS that came on the '03. Spools fast and the throttle response is definately improved! I just need more boost now...

Just don't go over 49........:whistle:

Are you sure you don't have a boost leak? I would think you should be able to get to 32-35 pretty easily......

Be sure to check out YMMOT's how to on making a boost checking tool. It is a pretty neat little trick that all of us should have available to us! I need to 'run' it on my own truck......

Glad you got it on. That does seem low for the boost but maybe it has something to do with the SO? I could hit 44psi with my stocker and just a quad race box, with a tst it bumped 54 psi once.... I wouldnt recomend it.

Yeah, I don't know. This is a Quad standard 100hp box, but I figure I should still be over 30+psi. I don't think the Cp3 is starved because I have a Walbro pump on there that SHOULD be still pushing 20 psi. I say SHOULD because I am on my second shit FP sender for the Commander. Hopefully Quad gets that sender issue fixed soon, or I'm going with analog gauges. It's just weird tho, because 27 psi was max with the old turbo, and it's STILL my max with this 351 on the truck with the wastegate screw cranked all the way in. So, maybe I need a better system, like a Smarty. I know IT will deliver plenty of fueling. I don't think it's a SO issue, because there are a lot of SO's over 500hp. They are running TST's or Smarty's tho, so I think this Quad box is going bye-bye as soon as I can afford better.

Also, thanks for the boost tester info! Looks good. Anyone have one built that's going to the west-side dinner Wednesday? I doubt I'll have one built by then...

Wish I was able to come.... If my Smarty would work on your truck, I would let you try it! I don't think it will go that far back (it's for an 06).

Have you put a separate ground wire on that fuel pressure sender? I read that wasd the problem a lot of guys were having with those.....

Yeah, tried the ground on the sender. I'm just lucky enough to have had to crappy ones... Your Smarty would work on my truck, as long as it wasn't VIN locked. They work on '03-'07 if I remember correctly, but I won't be down to Twin again for a while. Thanks tho!

Be sure to check out YMMOT's how to on making a boost checking tool. It is a pretty neat little trick that all of us should have available to us! I need to 'run' it on my own truck......

Give credit where credit is due, my friend. The Boost tester is from Uncle Bubba.

I know there are a lot of big hp SO's, but I wasnt sure if the quad was enough fuel on an SO to get the boost you want. Not sayin it is or isnt, I just dont have much experience with the SO's.

Also you do have a good point. If you can get your hands on a smarty and try it that should let you know if it is the quad or turbo. You could also check for soft codes too.

I have a new theory: Does anyone know if a "pressure only" Xzillaraider would boost fool? I bought the box used from a guy a while back, it's an old dark green Xzillaraider 100hp box, not the newer light green one, and if I remember right, the guy I bought it from had it stacked with a programmer. I'm wondering if he was running press only and if a pressure only box would still boost fool. I asked Quad support, but still no answer...

Well, looks like my theory was crap. I heard back from Quad and sounds like I need to tap the MAP sensor wire BEFORE the box, not after like the dumb a$$ I am...

Guest ShanesLB7

you have to tap wires?? I am telling you right now what the effects of them chitty as taps do... Ask Milco, and Straigh t Six, jmono, blue chrome, wap what headaches it caused me...:wall: :wall: :bat::ow:

Don't do it!!

you have to tap wires?? I am telling you right now what the effects of them chitty as taps do... Ask Milco, and Straigh t Six, jmono, blue chrome, wap what headaches it caused me...:wall: :wall: :bat::ow:

Don't do it!!

Oh, I already know, but this wire I had to tap was on the Xzillaraider's harness, not the trucks. Yeah, I agree, the Commander's "wire tapping" is ghetto. I had already tapped the map sensor before I bought the Xzilaraider a couple of years ago, and I forgot to tap the wiring harness for the Xzillaraider's map sensor harness, which is why I was getting the 26psi BS. I was reading what the Xzillaraider was telling the computer where I did have it tapped...