Guest 9812VCTD

Getting ready to service differentials?

Guest 9812VCTD

Hello all I think it would be a good idea to service both differentials what kind of fluid would be the best to run? Also is there gaskets I need to buy for the covers? I wish I had some coin to buy some MagHyteck covers why I was doing this! :?

Justin

id use amsoil in the rear. dino in frnt beins the front dont work as hard and long so less heat. 75/140 if tow much and often

Apparantely, you CAN buy gaskets for Dana 70/80's...I used to have a link. But most guys use good ol RTV. Make sure you let it setup for 10-20 minutes before you snug the bolts up. and yea, like Muddy says, synthetic in the rear is a good idea. Make sure you clean out the housing and magnet real good with a lint free rag. I usually use some brake cleaner to clean the inside but some say its not a good thing to do.

That being said, a Mag Hytech is THE way to go. Too bad Im so cheap...

When you drain them, jack up 1 side at a time, to allow more oil to drain from th eaxle tubes. Make sure the oil is warm before you do it, too.

The Mag-Hytec is definitely the way to go. Maybe I'll get one for my birthday!

Maybe I'll get one for my birthday!

Maybe you can get me one for MY birthday??....

Ill PM you my address....:lol:

Mike, how bad are you missing your truck?

Maybe you can get me one for MY birthday??....

Ill PM you my address....:lol:

Mike, how bad are you missing your truck?

Sure, PM me your address...I can send you something. 8-)

I am missing my truck severely! Thanks for reminding me! :-x

i just got done with the arb switch and now i am trying out the royal purple syn. 75w 140 in both the front and rear we used rvt to seal em up also make sure your pumpkin and cover are free of any old gasket stuff

sorry.......

Shane, I hope you didn't take offense; I was just kidding.

I'll be up your neck of the woods Beginning of June I think. I'm still planning on seeing you.

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks for the advice guys I've just about talked my wife into a Rear Diff cover, sounds like a synthetic in the rear is the way to go. As said above the front diff don't see much action so dyno it is. Thanks for the help guys, now it just needs to warm up a little!:-?

Justin

Guest Mopar1973Man

Just a tidbit to consider... If you do just road miles and don't do much offroad then Synthetic is fine. But if you go offroad you might consider the moisture that you might get in the gear lube.

Front end cover... RUSTED! :shock:

DSCF1361.jpg

The lube that was drained after 30K miles! :shock:

DSCF1363.jpg

Just something to consider if you go offroad... Since there is no way you can keep running water down gear lube and since Synthetics are expensive! Yes all vent tube is in good condition and I got no way to explain the water entry...

Guest Mopar1973Man
Whats the rest of the diff look like Mike?

Both front and rears looked like this. I didn't notice any rust on the gear but the housing covers where both rusted like in the pic. I drive a lot of wet, flooded, muddy, snowy roads around here. so after finding this out I bumped my schedule foreward to 20K miles (from 30K miles) for a change to prevent water build up. Since I did I sure don't want to waste good money on synthetics and dump them premature.

Like I said if you drive mostly highway and don't go offroad much then you should have much problem with this. :thumbup:

Typical winter driving conditions...

DSCF0224-640x480.jpg

Little offroad firewood gathering... Sometimes I cross creeks or flooded areas to get to places.

DSCF1027-640x480.jpg

So as you see my truck take a beating some days...:smokin

for the frnt,,,,,,,,outer axle seals???????????????

but,,,,,,,,my bet is the majority is condensation. ya get the pumkin hot then imerse in cold water etc and the moisture draws rite in

Guest Mopar1973Man
Mike, it may be an idea to use some kind of sealing material on the filler plug threads and pick up some diff cover gaskets...

There is no loss of fluid and the axle remains clean on the outside. This has been occuring for 100K miles now... Mostly in the winter time...

Guest Mopar1973Man
for the frnt,,,,,,,,outer axle seals???????????????

but,,,,,,,,my bet is the majority is condensation. ya get the pumkin hot then imerse in cold water etc and the moisture draws rite in

You might be right Muddy... If I'm out and running up on down forestry roads haulin' heavy in 4WD then yea the gear lube gets hot and expands then dip in in a cool creek it would suck up moisture.

Or running hard down a highway in 4WD and warming up the axle then going out offroad into the deep snow.

Either case it would do it...

Guest MoparsMaiden
Originally Posted by MoparsMaiden

The blonde in Moparmans snow picture.. IS NOT ME.........

I knew that....

Are you the new and improved version? :lol:

Trying to keep Moparman out of the doghouse are you??? :nono:

In answer to your question though... HELL YEAH I AM!!!! :thumbup::-P

Guest MoparsMaiden
really?....we need some pics to verify your statements...

You can talk to the man about the pics...

BUT... as you should know... new and improved includes more than just looks.. its all the little things that make the entire package better!! :thumbup: