BigOne

Tranny Temps

Guest ShanesLB7
220 is about the ceiling in most cases. Essentially at 220* the fluid will have a life expectancy of about 50k miles.

yeah i agree with my stocker i pulled a 9% grade at 35 mph and it was a windy as long grade and it was about 100 plus degrees out and it was the start of the demise of my stocker!!!:slap:

I would say anything over 240* is bad, over 300* is usually meltdown... seals, clutches, etc.

175-225* is normal range

Should be changing ATF at the very least every 30k if your doing any towing. $100 of ATF is cheap compared to a new trans.

The #s I wrote are playing it safe actually. You have to remember that the trans should be running about the same temps as the engine and some engines run at 200-210* (Jeeps for sure)

I run my sensors in the hot line. If I start seeing close to 300*, I'll let it cool off.

Yup, as a general rule, no hotter than the engine is. Cooler than the engine is a plus. Mine runs anywhere between 180 to 220 with a non lockup converter, although I was hitting 290's last year on the way to Moab at about 20,000 lbs load. The engine tstat was sticking and the fan clutch was bad. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone! But since I build em, I figured I could call it durability testing.

I consider 200 and lower good, 200 to 225 acceptable, 225 to 250 ok in short durations, 250 to 275 WARNING, 275 and up...Trans Death..

Now these are pan/case fluid temps, not hotline converter temps.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found