• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Jet Fuel

4L80-E 4th clutch seal install tool??

I'm building a 4L80-E and have run into a bit of a snag, I can't get the 4th clutch back together with out the seal protector tools. I'm not sure if I want to commit to buying the tool yet, I just don't know how many of these I going to do.

Does anyone have the kit(in the Boise area) and could maybe I drop by and assemble it. I'm sure it would take less than 5 minutes with the right tools.

Thanks Ben.

Wait, I was thinking of the overrun clutch.

You are talking about the big piston that goes into the big aluminum housing that bolts in the the Torx bolt? I stll only using a smooth feeler gauge to do it, just make sure to not tear the seal.

Its the big aluminum piston held in with a snap ring, I've always used a feeler gauge(as well as a modified windshield washer fluid bottle) before on other trannys but I can't on this one. It has a seal on both half's and when you try to work one seal in the other seal on the other side hangs up and progress comes to a screeching halt.

I'll try and get some pics.

On edit... the piston isn't held in the case with anything, it just floats in the case. a snap ring holds the return spring and a snap ring holds the forth gear clutch plates.

Here are the two halves, note the seals on both halves.

100_3405.jpg

They go together like so.

100_3406.jpgNot really a great pic, but after they go together a snap ring holds the return spring.100_3407.jpg

Here is the location in the case.100_3408.jpg

Yeah, I have never used anything different to put those together. I always just use the feller gauge method, I like it the best.

That does bolt in with the one bolt from the valve body, stock uses a Torx bolt, Transgo shift kit changes it to an allen bolt I was refering to the whole piece, not just the piston.

How much did you end up paying for the tool?

Also, if those are the feeler gauges you are using that are pictured, try to find the mini ones that are only 1/4" or so wide, they work lots better.

man, if you can put those together with a feeler gauge you are a magician.

I've done the feeler gauge method on other trannys but they didn't have seals on both sides.As soon as I get one side started the seal on the other side keeps the piston from going in and no matter how careful I am turning it over, the first seal I did slides out and I'm back to where I started.:-(

I havn't bought the tool yet, I was going to check with Scott at TPI to see what he can get me one for. It looks like 150 bones is what average is.

I might as well buy it cause I don't think this is my last one.

Update.. its done. The tool showed up thurs to the tune of 160 bones, its actually a nice piece, metal not plastic. I set it up and it literally fell together. I also had to make a trip to valley tools cause I didn't have a .055 drill bit for the Trans-go kit.

I'll put it in the truck sometime this week whenever he can part with it.