• Upcoming Events

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

twistedjack

engine overheating

Okay so when I am pulling my camper up long hills the water temp gets up to 230, I am keeping the egt's around 1150 up hill. Radiator and intercooler are both clean. I can hear the fan so the clutch is engaged so it is moving plenty of air. What now add an engine oil cooler?

Did you ever get a fan shroud on your truck?

I did finally build one. It fit the radiator perfect. covers the fan out to the back edge of the fan and about 3/4" from the blade tips just like stock. The radiator I am using is from a 93 and the intercooler is from a 99ford for those that haven't seen my truck. The normal temp on the flat is 190.

I wouldn't go that far, but the aftermarket thermostats do have a history of not working correctly.

They aren't cheap from Cummins. One for my truck was around $40 and the higher temp one (190*?) was $90...

There is actually already an oil cooler on the stock engine. It is part of the assembly that the oil filter is on.

in my 01 I have had issues with the fan clutch even when it sounded like it was engaging. It just wouldnt get up to speed.

This is for my 2001 24V but it may have the same part numbers.

I pulled my Rad out of the truck, replaced the thermostat to a 180 deg (part number 3967195) and flushed the block and heater core. I have to say that my temps were getting above 204 deg while pulling my 20' enclosed car hauler. I had a 190 deg t-stat in there. When I pulled it out, the rubber diaphragm had cratered and disintegrated; it was in my Rad when I back flushed it.

The Rad was caked with crud on the front side. I even have my breather relocated to the trackbar. I will post pics of it just after I started to wash it down. I washed it with degreaser 4 times and also used an entire can of brake cleaner on it.

I re-filled the cooling system with Fleetguard ES Compleat 50/50 premix (part number CC2825X). 4.5 Gallons is what it took.

Pulling the rad was pretty easy. Un-clip the shroud, take the overflow tank off and the window fluid tank off, undo the 4 bolts (2 on each side), take the pos battery cable off the top of the rad, 2 bolts that hold the rad to the front clip, and take out. I recommend 2 people lifting it out.

Radcleaning003.jpg

Radcleaning001.jpg

Radcleaning004.jpg

On my chevy I ended up using one from summit racing. Its one of thier summit brand aluminum race radiators. Ive never had a heat problem and I dont even have a shroud.

They sell for under $200 shipped.

well this weekend i blew a bypass coolant hose that i installed inplace of the stock trans cooler so I lost all the coolant. Since that happened and it is a bitch to get to without removing the alternator and ac compressor I went a head and replaced the thermostat and fan clutch. I also ran some radiator flush through the system. I haven't hooked the trailer to it yet but I can definately see the thermostat open and close on the guage which never happened before, so I hope it is fixed.

Well I just got back from my road trip to Moab,Utah and back I would say my overheating problems are gone. Now I can put some power down without it overheating. I decided to see if I could get it warm up a 7% grade and the water temp only got to 200 and I was doing 65 at the top of the hill and now the Egt's only hit 1200 at the very top of the hill. I will have to scale the trailer to get the weight but I think is was around 7500lbs not a lot of weight but before the water temp hit 240 and I might only be able to pull the hill at 45-50 without the pyro over 1250.