Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Bubba

What A Way To Travel

Get started on our first trip moving to Cali. Not startinout to smooth. Somewhere her in the middle of Iowa, all the lugnuts on a rear wheel of the truck snapped and the wheel took flight. Just to add insult to injury, while were waitin for the wrecker a state cop pulled up and said they are not allowing any wrecker service on the highway because of the weather. So now my truck and trailer are sittin out on the highway while we wait it out in a hotel. THIS SUCKS!!!!

well, were still in the same town but the truck is up and runnin now. The shop it was towed to checked the other wheels and found nuts lose on them to. So looks like when I had tires put on last week they never torqed them down and they worked lose. The tire wobbles enough that it expolded the rim. Just before this I was complaing to the wife that the wind was really pushin the trailer around, turns out it wasn't the wind. I heard a boom and looked in the mirror just in time to see the outer half of my rim flyin through the air like a cannon ball. Flew over 2 lanes and landed on the far side of the grassy median before it touched down. Looks like I got some legal battles comin up now. Talk about eatin into a travel budget. This sucks. I still need to find somewhere on down the road to bleed the brakes again, got mushy on me a few miles down the road from the shop and they were closing as we drove away. Hopin to be back on the road before the open in the morning. I'm not about to fight with this stuff in this weather myself, I"M TIRED OF COLD WEATHER.

Made it as far as Rawlins Wyoming today and so far all is well. Stopped off in a car wash and parked inside a bay to bleed my brakes this morning. At least it cut the wind some.

And yes I have re-torqued the lugs at every fuel stop today, got me all paranoid now. I jump everytime the truck makes a sound.

Truck left me by the side of the road again last night about 2:00am climbing the mountain in the Lake Tahoe area on I-80. That whole section of road from Reno to Sacramento is horrible. All the tire chains got ruts dug in it that made it impossible to keep the trailer behind me and it was like runnin an old farm road with ruts at 60 mph. All the vibration loosened a fitting on my lift pumps and ran the injector pump dry. Rainin, snowin, freezin up and so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open, I was sittin on the side of the highway tryin to bleed the system. Highway patrol said start it now or call a wrecker so I called another wrecker. He pulled it into town but nobody could work on it till monday so he just parked it in a shop lot. I went back after some sleep and got it running again and were in Redding now.

With horses at home getting ready to drop babies, a truck that I just don't trust anymore, a well at home is froze up and couldn't get it thawed before we left, a 40ft trailer half built, a house that needs some work before I put it on the market and lot's of fence and barn work to finish before I put it up for sale. Just seems like I'm fightin everything in my life and it's time to simple my life up some. The next truck WILL NOT be bombed. Luv this truck, I just don't have time for it anymore.

well 99 when it rains it pours and it looks like your in a flood if we can help ya out any let us know I think your truck heard about them emissions and is fighting tooth and nail :wink: but like i said if we can help out let us know and drive safe on your return

Finally made it home last night. Left Redding California at 8:00am my time on Wed morning and pulled into my driveway 2200 miles away at 9:00pm on thursday night. Slept for about an hour in a Wally World parking lot, then kept drivin. Ran into some foul weather through the mountains in Utah and Wyoming. Bout 5mph for 100 or so miles. Couldn't see the end of the truck hood through the blowing snow and sleet. When heard the rumble strip on the shoulder or saw the reflectors I knew I was wrong and changed course. Never did see the road through that area.

I'm either selling or rebuilding this truck before a next trip. I need to pull the front end apart. Radiator, inter-cooler, gear cover and all the rest of the crap. I need to rebuild the vaccuum pump clean out the power steering, check for KDP, install the Lukes Links that I have had sittin for over 2 years waiting and replace the air boots. While all that is off Im also wondering if I can change out the head and cam without pulling the whole engine. Then I will be ready for the next trip. I hate this damn truck, but I just can't get rid of it. It's a part of the family. The wife was pissin and moanin the whole way, I told you to get a new truck before we did this this. I keep tryin to tell her there is nothin wrong with this one. Hard to convince her of that when were sittin on the side of the highway though.