• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

AH64ID

Installing additional fuel filters, GDP w/ Cat 2 Micron, and a Fuel/Water Sep....

I have been wanting more fuel filtration for a while now. I finally decided to go with a GDP kit underhood for the 2 micron filtration and will add a BF1212 fuel/water sep between the tank and the OE filter bowl soon.

I am using a mostly GDP MK-2 + Big Line kit. I opted not to use the supplied fleetguard, or fleetguard filter base. I wanted to use the Cat 2 Micron filter and already had a Baldwin Filter base. Otherwise the kit is GDP. I am very impressed with this kit, all the fittings and parts are top quality, not to mention they will certainly reduce restriction.

Here is the intake horn pre install.

GDPMK2001.jpg

Here is the GDP kit, with all my additions.

GDPMK2013.jpg

Here is the assembled filter base and mount.

GDPMK2002.jpg

The new fitting in the CP3

GDPMK2007.jpg

The new fitting in the Fuel Filter Bowl.

GDPMK2004.jpg

GDPMK2010.jpg

The mount on the intake horn.

GDPMK2008.jpg

And the final install...

GDPMK2009.jpg

I also changed the OE filter today. I am going to continue to use the Baldwin PF7977 in the OE location. It has excellent ratings for dirt and water removal.

In order to prime the new system and to clean out the rubber line I left the line disconnected from the CP3 and bump the starter and let the fuel pump run until fuel came out the hose. The OEM In-Tank lift pump may not have the most pressure.. but WOW it moves some volume. After this it started on the first crank.

I am just waiting on the local machine shop to cut me a piece of steel for my bracket to mount the BF1212, then it will go on. I am hoping to install in on Sunday. I will update with pics then.

So in the end I will have a 20 micron fuel/water sep rated for 90%+ free and emulsified water removal, a 5 micron OE fuel/water sep rated for 90%+ free and emulsified water removal, and a 2 micron fuel filter.

Guest ShanesLB7
That's what I need, PM how much this costed you. I might try to tackle this, I might need some help. Any volunteers? :twisted:

ooooh come on nancy it aint that difficult... Couple fitting's and bolt er up!!:thumbup:

Guest ShanesLB7

Airdog's filter down to 2 micron too.. Sooo why is this filter sooo much better???

tia....

The filter the airdog uses is only 94% efficient at 2 microns, the cat is 98.7% efficient... thats close, but what really gets me on the air dog is the fuel water sep filter, its 140 microns and only rated for 50% free water removal and 0% emulsified water. The baldwin is 97% at 20 microns and over 90% on both free and emulsified water. And the airdog filters are not rated for 100 gph flow, the filter is rated for 60gph and the water sep is rated for 20gph. I was looking into an airdog for a while until I found out the specs on the filters they use, and they are not standard thread, like 1-14" so you can't just swap them out.

:confused: Cause it says CAT? :poke:

:popcorn:

Well YEAH

:runner:

Guest ShanesLB7
The filter the airdog uses is only 94% efficient at 2 microns, the cat is 98.7% efficient... thats close, but what really gets me on the air dog is the fuel water sep filter, its 140 microns and only rated for 50% free water removal and 0% emulsified water. The baldwin is 97% at 20 microns and over 90% on both free and emulsified water. And the airdog filters are not rated for 100 gph flow, the filter is rated for 60gph and the water sep is rated for 20gph. I was looking into an airdog for a while until I found out the specs on the filters they use, and they are not standard thread, like 1-14" so you can't just swap them out.

hmmm that is very interesting... I can still add one of these kits to my system though...:thumbup:

hmmm that is very interesting... I can still add one of these kits to my system though...:thumbup:

For sure...... So I take it your running an airdog? Did you remove the OE filter?

Guest ShanesLB7
For sure...... So I take it your running an airdog? Did you remove the OE filter?

yes I have the airdog and no I still have the oe filter!!:thumbup:

yes I have the airdog and no I still have the oe filter!!:thumbup:

Good, because thats really the only place your getting fuel/water sep up to OEM specs... The OE filter is 98.7% at 7 microns, 96% at 5 microns, 95% emulsified water, and 98% free water... its a good filter. When I run out of the Baldwin drop ins I may go back to the OE filter for cost reasons.

Guest 9812VCTD

Nice setup looks like you've done alot of research on the filters and there ratings.

Justin

Thanks

I got some free time and got the Baldwin Fuel/Water sep on today.

I had a bracket made that bolted to the bottom of the back bolts for the front seat. I had to replace the OE bolts with ones that had more thread. I then bolted the Baldwin filter base to the bracket and ran the plumbing. I used 3/8 compression fittings on the OEM steel line. Everything went together real smooth. I did have to take the NPT fittings from the compression fitting to the push-lok apart and reseal with thread seal tape due to a small fuel leak. But all is well now.

BF1212001.jpg

BF1212005.jpg

BF1212003.jpg

and its tucked up neatly above the xcase skid plate and the frame.

BF1212004.jpg

And a closeup of the fittings.

BF1212006.jpg

Guest ShanesLB7

I will buy you a case of your favorite beverages if you can tell me where you got those fittings!!!

Shane,

How much will I have to pay you to find out what those fittings are after you find out?........ LOL

Somebody has been playing with avtars... thats funny right there....

The fittings are all from the local Parker store, aka Fluid Connector Products. They have great stuff, they even made the hoses I used for my bypass...

This all sounds too good to be true.... well all of it except the new avatar part! (I think I like Muddy's the best...... lol!)

Now I just have to remember to look at this on a real computer so I can see your pics.... sounds like you have a great install!

Western States told me that Donaldson makes their Cat filters for them and that the Cat filter is nominal and the Donaldson is absolute. Did you find anything like this in your research? Where all did you get your filter info from? (I thought I had some filter info; you seem to have a lot more!)

I got my filter from the local western states. The high efficiency Cat filters are rated at 2 microns absolute. I have heard that Donaldson makes the Cat filter, but was told by Donaldson that the cross reference filter, P551313 is not the same filter as the Cat 1R0750. The Donaldson P551313 is absolute at 2 microns.