• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Dr. Evil

Fabrication/Welding advice

17 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

Last fall I traded my stock bumper to a fella for his Ranchand style bumper. The problem is the previous owner had a little mishap with it. He ran into something pretty substantial to bend the 1/2" plate mounts and crossbar. I know some of you guys are welders/fabricators - so, how fixable is this? I dont weld but didnt think its looked too bad. Was I wrong? Any advice would be appreciated.

Heres the pics of the damage:

f8086ae0.jpg

250c1697.jpg

7e1f6422.jpg

67fcd033.jpg

305bfde5.jpg

I would also like to fix the dents on the upright sections.

I'd try hooking up a chain or strap to the center of the tube then pulling it as straight as possible. Once you have the uprights straight, cut out the pipe and replace it.

I was thinking about cutting out the pipe and renting a hydraulic power pack to try and straighten it.

Im really kicking myself for never learning to weld - but I never really had a decent chance.

My way is cheaper... :D

I'd actually prefer a strap over a chain because a strap is less likely to crush/kink the pipe as it will spread the force over a larger area.

Actually, I was thinking about cutting the pipe out first and then installing the power pack (a long one) inside the uprights to spread them out.

Yes, your way would definitely be cheaper.

yes joshs way should work very well to straighten the pipe and uprights then cut it out and replace with new piece

It would be easier to cut 1" or so out of the center of the pipe then use a strap to straighten each side individually. Then after it all straight cut it the rest of the way out and just replace the pipe. IMO

It will be easier to bend with a piece missing. Just park by a tree and get a descent come-along and you will be all set.

Unfortunatly I have to do stuff like this all the time. lol

Thats a good idea too....I knew there are many here smarter than me.

The strap method would work great. That is the option I would do. I bet with a little effort you could get that tube straightened out well enough to not have to replace it.

You will just need to pull a little at a time over within 6"either side of center.

Also, if you get the tube straight, but it pushes out the uprights, then you could heat the tube with a torch in small areas to red hot, then cool it with water quickly, this will help shrink the tube a bit.

I would try to straighten it without removing it first. It should do a better job of straightening everything else around if it is still all together.

If it turns out ok, you could leave that pipe alone after straightening it...... If it isn't dented too badly......

A strap would work the best! A 'come-a-long' would be the preferred method. Make sure you put your truck in neutral and set the park brake hard enough to hold it. Don't use the tranny and gear train to hold it......

Very nice - thanks guys I appreciate your input a lot. Different opinions/ideas are always good.

You know we are all just here to help......

(Someone famous said: 'The scariest words you will ever hear are: "I'm from the gov't; I'm here to help you"!) (By the way; I have a couple of gov't ID's...... LOL)

Seriously, I wish you were closer. I have a good tree and a couple of other 'redneck' implements. We could have that thing straightened out in no time.....

Well, I will be fairly close but not close enough. Were heading to Billings next week - going to try to fix it there. Thanks Dan :thumbup:

Well, thanks for the inpuit guys....between me and Whitmore - we got it straightened pretty good. Its still not done as I have to figure out how many lights I want and how I want to mount them. Heres a couple of pics:

110_2096-1.jpg

110_2097.jpg

110_2098.jpg