• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

GlennO

A/C looses freon

Hi EWveryone;

I have a 2002, I have filled the A/C system, but keeps loosing freon.

I tryed some of that leak stop stuff, didn't work.

Is this a major job?

Should I jsut replace the compressor?

Thanks

Hope to make the dinner this month

GlennO

Hi Glenn, don't have any good answers for you on this site either but glad to see ya made your way over here.

When I had an air conditioner compressor problem I just picked up a used one and was done with it. Makes a simple swap out of the project.

Dawn soap and water in a spray bottle for a leak detector. I would check everything over real good and if nothing is found then I would think it is cranks seal. And the reason i say Dawn is because it will bubble better then anything else.

How do you know that it's the compressor, do you see it leaking there?

I would NOT replace parts just based on "that usually what goes first" without checking for leaks first. At work we call that "shotgun troubleshooting" and people get in trouble for doing that because it wastes time and money.

If you end up buying parts, I would get new or reman'd parts and not chance it with junkyard parts.

Nate its not "SHOTGUN" anything that is a fact. Unless you have an electronic leak detector chances are you won't find it. Now what happens is that the seal in the end drys up and then starts to leak. That is why I said that you check everything else before you go to that. You know go through and make sure everything else does not leak first. That is not jumping into just changing parts. And unless you have the tools to pull the a/c clutch off and get to the seal you will not see it with soap and water.

I was writing to GlennO on that other post.

The leak detector kits from Schucks are pretty cheap. There is a UV dye that you use and with some yellow glasses and a black light, it will show up. They have kits for engine leaks too.

Never had any issues with A/C on any of my Chryslers so never heard of common leak places. My Jeep and truck are both 98s and they have the factory fill of R134 in them still.