• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
Deangarth

HELP!! truck wont start

Deangarth    0

my 99 f-250 7.3L wont start. when i trun the key to the start position ll i get is a clicking in my fuse panel in my dash( the one under the steering wheel). i opened the fuse panel; and its the bottom relay clicking. if i open my hood and touch the 2 posts on my starter relay with a screwdirver ( the one on my passenger side fender) it will start. and it runs just fine.

so i thought it was that relay, put a new one on today and still nothing. but if i touch it witha screw driver it starts. i check all my fuses that are under my hood, and nder my dash. i'm outta ideas. could realy use some help.

Snowman    0

What are you touching on the starter relay the two big posts. You have a wire that runs to the relay that just comes on with the start position on the key. That would be the first thing that i would test.

Deangarth    0

i'm using a screwdriver to touch the 2 posts.

test it with a volt meter, or a test light to see if i'm getting any power to the little wire that comes from the key then?

Deangarth    0

ok, and if no power there, where do i go next? fuses? relays?

i went to college to be a diesel mech, but im outa ideas on wut or where to check. i check fuses, relays, selenionds. maybe i missed a fuse or somethin tho.

IDPisan    0

Have you tried starting it in neutral? If that don't work my money is on your DTR sensor. If it does your gear selector may be shot. Let us know I can walk you through the test for the DTR.

Deangarth    0
Have you tried starting it in neutral? If that don't work my money is on your DTR sensor. If it does your gear selector may be shot. Let us know I can walk you through the test for the DTR.

ya i just went and tried. still does he same thing. gonna go clean all the conections realy well with a lil emry cloth and get my test light and test to see if i get power to the little wire that comes from the key switch.

Guest POWERTRIP   
Guest POWERTRIP

I would check the little wire goin to the solenoid. That is what kicks your solonoid on when you start it. Check that wire to see if there is juice when you crank it. Get a heavier guage wire and hook one end to the pos on your bat and then just tap the other end onto the little post where that little wire hooks to. If it cranks over then your solonoid is good.

Deangarth    0
I would check the little wire goin to the solenoid. That is what kicks your solonoid on when you start it. Check that wire to see if there is juice when you crank it. Get a heavier guage wire and hook one end to the pos on your bat and then just tap the other end onto the little post where that little wire hooks to. If it cranks over then your solonoid is good.

ok i will go do that right now. thanks

Deangarth    0

ok i got a wire touched one end to my batt. and the other to the small post on the seleniod ( the one that goesto my key switch) and it started. got a tes light and thouched it to the neg on my batt and the other in the the lil wire and turned the key. nothing. so i'm not getting power to that lil wire.

fuses? realys? and wut ones should i check? maybe a bad key switch?

Guest POWERTRIP   
Guest POWERTRIP

While you have your tester on the little wire you need to crank the key switch like you are trying to start it. Thats the only time it has juice. With the key switch on there will be no juice, only while cranking.

Deangarth    0
While you have your tester on the little wire you need to crank the key switch like you are trying to start it. Thats the only time it has juice. With the key switch on there will be no juice, only while cranking.

i turned it to crank position (sorry shoulda said that). several times and nothing.

Guest POWERTRIP   
Guest POWERTRIP

Re check all your fuses under the dash and under the hood. All those relays in the fuse panels should be interchangable. So maybe switch one of the starting relays out with another that you know works, like an A/C one. If not follow that wire and see where it goes. From what i can tell mine goes along the cowl and comes out on the drivers side and either goes into the fuse box right there or under the dash.

Also check that wire in diff spots with your tester to see if maybe the wire is broken somewhere

IDPisan    0

The good book say's to check this out, might wanna if Jer's idea's don't pan out.

P.S. Nice Avatar Jer!!

SYMPTOM CHARTConditionPossible SourcesAction

• The Engine Does Not Crank or the Relay Clicks

• Loose or corroded battery cable connections.
  • Undercharged battery.
  • Worn or damaged starter relay.
  • Faulty starter motor ground circuit.
  • Loose or corroded starter motor connections.
  • Worn or damaged starter motor.

PINPOINT TEST A: THE ENGINE DOES NOT CRANK OR THE RELAY CLICKS

CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS A1 CHECK FUNCTION OF THE STARTER RELAYani_caut.gif WARNING: The parking brake must be set and the transmission must be in neutral.box1.gifConnect a remote starter switch between the battery positive terminal at the starter relay and the starter relay S-terminal.

box2.gifPress the remote starter switch button.

• Did the starter crank the engine?

arrow.gifYes If equipped with an automatic transmission, GO to A5 . If equipped with a manual transmission, GO to A7 .

arrow.gifNo If the relay did not close, GO to A2 . If the relay closed, GO to A3 .

IDPisan    0

Too much info for one post, had to post up a second one.

A5 CHECK CIRCUIT 325 (DB/O) FOR AN OPEN — BATTERY FEED TO THE DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE (DTR) SENSORbox1.gif

IC0004.gif Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor

box2.gif

IC0009.gif

box3.gifMeasure the voltage between the digital transmission range (DTR) sensor connector C1012 Pin 10, Circuit 325 (DB/O) and a clean chassis ground.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

arrow.gifYes GO to A6.

arrow.gifNo REPAIR the open in Circuit 325 (DB/O). TEST the system for normal operation.

IDPisan    0

and a third

A6 CHECK FOR CONTINUITY AT THE DIGITAL TRANSMISSION RANGE (DTR) SENSORbox1.gif

IC0019.gif Digital Transmission Range (DTR) Sensor

box2.gif

IC0009.gif

box3.gifMeasure the voltage between the digital transmission range (DTR) sensor connector C1012 Pin 12, Circuit 1093 (T/R) and a clean chassis ground.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

arrow.gifYes REPAIR the open in Circuit 32 (R/BL) between the digital transmission range (DTR) sensor and the starter relay. TEST the system for normal operation.

arrow.gifNo CHECK the transmission linkage adjustment. If adjustment is OK, INSTALL a new digital transmission range (DTR) sensor. TEST the system for normal operation.