• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

YMMOT    0

It creates draw on your electrical system which creates drag on the engine. I'd venture to say that whatever mileage gain you get from the hydrogen is lost because of the increased electrical load.

Some people have claimed it works well, but I'd have to know the person and know their testing methods before I'd actually believe it.

millco    8

I think Tommy is onto something here....... you just don't get something for nothing!

The other problem I see with it is not being able to make enough hydrogen on the fly to actually make a difference. I did some of this years ago in 'the lab' and it don't produce very much hydrogen at all........

YMMOT    0

What kind of hydrogen output are we talking at 3 amps? 3 amp at 12V is 36Watts.

1HP = 746 Watts. So you are looking at about a 0.004 HP draw. So you wouldn't lose much.

A 360 Cubic Inch engine at 100% Volumetric Efficiency spinning 2000 is consuming 208 CFM of air. You will never have 100% VE, but with our diesels it is in the 85%+ range. The question is what percentage of the air would have to include hydrogen to see an increase in power and mileage?

YMMOT    0

Ok look at it this way. A 6 liter 4 stroke engine will consume 3 liters of air in one revelotion.

I have seen one of these hydrogen generators that produces 1 liter per minute. It was drawing about 30 amps. 30 amps x 12v is 360 watts. As I stated earlier, 1 HP = 746 watts. So it takes roughly .5 HP to generate 1 liter of hydrogen in a minute. In 1 minute at 2000RPMs a 6liter engine will have consumed 6000 liters of air. So you have a 1 to 6,000 ratio of hydrogen to air.

How much of a gain are you going to see in a 1:6,000 ratio? Probably next to nothing.