• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

cetanefreek

best track bar upgrade?

so after only 35K my new track bar is worn out again :-x so what's the best upgrade? I know about the 3rd gen upgrade which I like best so far, and the heim joint system like 99cummins just got, but unless I am mistaken the heim joints will have to be replaced on a regular basis whereas the 3rd gen will not, I think I would like to stay away from the ball joint style unless someone can tell me why I should stay with it. thanks in advance for any info.

D-T recommends a rebuild which costs $45 and about a 1/2 hour to do, every 40,000 miles. But I know in my case I had well over 100,000 on this thing before I did the rebuild here recently. Only did this beause I was changin the suspension out and it was a part of the project. But anyway once I got under there to pull it apart I found absolutely no play in this joint at all. It was still in perfect condition.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the Thuren or D-T. Dr Evil also listed a bar he found from a basement type dealer in Montana I think also that looked well built and was a cheaper option but I don't remember the details on it at the moment.

as of this weekend i put the DT on my 97, very nice setup mounting the bracket can be a pain in the butt if you don't have the right tools like i didn't. other than that it is very easy to put together and adjust. it adjusts right on the pickup unlike thuren (my other option). oh and the main reason i got the DT is because i read about a guy getting 170,000 out of the origional and 106,000 with the rebuild pulling campers across the U.S.

so anyway..... I'd like to announce that I'm a dumbass, my trackbar hasn't gone bad, I got my other half to turn the wheel for me (finally) and the mount on the axle has just come loose, later today some time with the impact gun and it should all be good, however I did finally find one I like made by Dynomite Diesel Performance

http://www.dynomitediesel.com/display_part/351.php

it doesn't work with mag-hytec front covers, but really why would you need one? it's not like I go down the highway in 4 wheel drive....