• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
pilotmdurst

newbie from Airway Heights

pilotmdurst    0

New here and have already been helped out by muddy, Thanks!

looking to beef up the truck $$$ .

looking at all these threads and i'm excited to get help working on unstocking my truck.

Mike

New info...

Ok, so far this is what I have done. When I bought the truck it had a radio.

I have put in cruise control, driving lights, exhaust brake,and lift pump in the tank.(bought from the dealer and it was cheaper then buying it with the truck! thieves!) rear spots and rear camera( for piece of mind and stress relief) (even with radios my wife can not help me hitch the camper,left or right or stop.........:confused: )back to the truck.

It is a 5 speed manual 4X4 with the helper springs and sway bars blaa blaa blaa.

I am working on a custom panel box that goes on the center consol box between the seats that holds the CD controler,GPS, CB/WX radio, Switches for exhaust brake,rear camera,rear spots, and extras (high idle, plow lights, etc).

I will try the whole picture thing if someone explains how to do it.

I want to put in guages!!!!real important I make this truck last forever since my wife says she will have to bury me in it.

Mike

Welcome. We can help you "unstock" your truck. Before we get started, however, I'd suggest you get some gauges installed. The more "beef" you add the more you need to monitor what the beef is up to. I'm assuming, since you're a pilot, you already know the benefits of gauges, but just want to make sure. Before we start making recommendations we'll need to know if your truck has an auto or manual transmission.

6LCummins    0

Hello and welcome. i second the gauges, and i also would look into a kevlar ceramic clutch, trust me they are under rated and will hold the power u can potentially make with a VP truck. That is where i would start on the truck if it was mine. That way you can monitor the happenings of ur mods and have a clutch that will hold for a long time.

i would stay with a 12.25 Clutch. they hold 12% more power than a 6 speed clutch and the reasoning behind the K/C is that it sounds like you tow quite a bit. Anything other than a dual disc is gonna be grabby(shakey violent take offs.) The K/C is very smooth and if treated right, meaning not too many hard launches and dumping of the clutch, will hold up beautifully. You can go Con OFE but i personally dont like them because of the organic side of the clutch disc. You wont ever really kill the feramic side of the clutch but the organic side will be the down fall. yes i know i know WAY too much about clutches.:lol:

As far as gauges go i would say a boost, pyro and fuel pressure would be the first three i usually recommend for VP44 trucks. And since you are runnin the manual you dont need the trans temp.

Also have u had ur 5th gear nut looked into???? also is your truck 4x4? i think i missed that part. The 5th gear nut fix runs i think thirty bucks from wat i remember and it ia very good thing to have done. If your truck is 4x4, i know it seems redundent but i would convert ur rear tailhousing to a cast iron instead of the aluminum piece. Granted you might never have an issue with it but if you're doin the 5th gear fix i like the piece of mind for speinding, if i remember correctly, 150 bucks on it. www.standardtransmission.com , go to the product button on the left hand side, then to the dodge with cummins link, and then scroll down to the bottom to find that piece.

This is how i would start "unstocking" the truck because its how i did mine.

millco    9

Welcome! It sounds like we have you off to a good start.....

(We are always willing to help spend some one else's money!)

pilotmdurst    0

I want analog/backlite(red or green)

I was hoping everyone can let me know what are the best. online they all claim to be the best. also is the package deal the best or part by part?

Is there a difference in the pillar mounts or they all the same?

Last thing. Should I be posting this here or in another section?

md-lucky    0

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I cannot stress the importance of a fuel pressure gauge enough. Even with the "updated" pump, you still run the risk of dropping fuel pressure below safe levels. If your injector pump fails, its an extremely costly repair.

Opinions on gauges are like opinions on anything thing. Ask 10 people, expect 10 answers. What gauge do YOU like best? The major players (autometer, stewart warner, VGO, etc) all have quality products. Personally, I like autometer because of their selection.

I'm just down the road from you in Spokane. (well, I spend my nights in spokane and my days in moscow). If you need a hand with anything, let me know. I'm happy to help.

6LCummins    0

I personally like the ultra lite IIs from autometer, not too expensive and they look sharp IMO.

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3563&sid=61

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3576&sid=61

http://autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3586&sid=61

Those would be the three i personally would get. But like md-lucky said its up to u in the final choice. Cuz u have to look at them everyday when ur driving ur truck. And those three include all the necessary parts to install them. Make sure u llok at the descriptions of the gauges to make sure they come with a K coupler(pyrometer) and the tubing for the boost gauge.

pilotmdurst    0

Thanks.

I noticed that there is a lot of options out there and some of these "packages" do not come with everything you need.

Is the sending unit good enough for the fuel or should I go with the braided line option?

6LCummins    0

that is an electrical fuel pressure gauge. No need for the braided line as it is for the mechanical gauge. U will just need a 12-16 gauge wire to run from the sender to the gauge. Really pretty easy and u dont have to worry bout fuel ever gettin inside the cab. But i still like the mech gauges.

millco    9

I use Jasc Paint Shop to do a lot of my digi pics work.... Will microsofts pic viewer resize? If not, I think you can resize when you upload them to a hosting site like www.photobucket.com

I prefer that one over the others I have tried!

bbbadboy    0

WELCOME

Might I suggest installing 5 ton springs on your truck before anything else..................ya know........just so your prepared to haul the kinda cash these guys can spend for ya:lol: $$$ $$$ $$$