Guest Mopar1973Man

GAUGES - Read First before posting!

Guest Mopar1973Man

Before adding any kind of fueling enhancement to you truck you need a set of gauges for it. You need at least FUEL PRESSURE, BOOST, and a PYROMETER. These gauges will let you know of critical engine information that the stock cluster can't do.

The stock fuel system is weak at best. So its a requirement to have a fuel pressure gauge. The Dodge FSM shows the minimum pressure is 10 PSI but most here will say about 7-8 PSI. Anything below this you doing damage to your VP44 injection pump. At least get this gauge if you don't add a box or programmer.

The pyrometer will help you keep your EGT (Exhaust Gas Temp.) under control. The safe running MAX temp you want is about 1,200*F. It not suggested to pass this temperature for very long (few seconds at the most).

Boost pressure will tell you a lot of information. It tells you if your turbo is working properly, if you have air leaks, and how much fuel your using. Most stock truck have a maximum pressure of about 18-20 PSI tops. When using enhancement boxes and programmers it will increase this by fooling the ECU and also using a boost elbow. Basically the more boost you see the more fuel your burning.

So before even think about getting a enhancement box get your guages!

Guest Mopar1973Man

That is a possiblity... But not all people want to go with Edge A2 or Edge Juice. So if your going with a TST or other box you'll still have to add gauges.

I'm still not a fan of the Edge Digital gauges yet... :roll:

Nate had a good idea to look at Edge. It says it has all the temps right on it? I think this may be more cost effective.

Cost effective doesnt necessarily mean that its good. Electric FP guages cause more problems than they prevent.

Guest Mopar1973Man
Me either....never will be either. Could ya tell? :lol:

No comment. Maybe that's why I bought the Edge Comp and NOT the A2 or Juice versions... But I might have to cough up and get the Drag comp unlock for this though... :thumbup:

My Gauges currently are working awesome and no problems. I might lose my fuel pressure gause from vibrations but 3-4 years later... I'm not sweating it. It only about 30-40 bucks for a new one... Like hurt me twice! :roll:

Guest Mopar1973Man
Cost effective doesnt necessarily mean that its good. Electric FP guages cause more problems than they prevent.

True... So very true... Electric gauges are not the most accurate type of gauge. Remember since the gauge relies on the 12V system of the truck it possible for the gauge to vary its readings as the battery voltage rises or falls. It's even worse with a bad ground or weak connection...

I should know... I got set of autometer gauges on my Goldwing and as the alternator (voltage) sags a bit the other two gauges (oil pressure and coolant temp) sag a bit too.. :roll:

I'm not a fan of the digital pyrometers either... I haven't seen one yet that was really accurate compared to an analog guage... unless they've been improved while I've been playing over here....