• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

IdahoRob

Vw Tdi

That is the 90HP TDI which is a better choice than the 110HP PD (Pump Deuce) engine (IMHO). The PD engine WILL have cam issues if they have not been using the correct VW spec oil.

You might need injector nozzles soon as performance starts to drop off. Nozzles will last anywhere between 150K to 200K miles as long as they have good fuel. Also, if they cannot show you documentation of when the timing belt was changed, get it changed. These originally had a 60K mile belt. They have since come out with a 100K mile belt.

Overall there are lots of guys with 400K+ on ths particular engine.

Debbie's 2000 TDI Beetle was $13K on a dealer lot with 89K on the clock last year

KBB says $10,500 in excellent condition, $9700 for good, $8500 for fair.

An autotrader search of VW TDI jettas within 500 miles with over 100K miles turns up 7 cars. Priced from $8500 to $14,000.

Get a carfax on the VIN and make sure that it hasn't been in a bad wreck or a salvage title. Drive it and have some one follow you to make sure it isn't burning oil. Deb's will puff a slight blue haze on downshifts, but the thing doesn't really use oil in 5,000 miles.

If all that checks out, I'd say $6K is a good deal.

Good info Tom...

Also, Rob theres some good info over on www.dieselbombers.com - we have a VW Service tech/writer that can answer lots of VW questions.

Ive been looking hard at buying one of these myself - fuel prices are beyond ridiculous and I dont see them going down anytime soon.

Rob,

My wifes jetta in an 01 with 185000 miles. The biggest issue we have had is with the mass airflow sensor crappin out on us. You can find them for around $100 if you look hard. It will probalby be due for a new set of glow plugs if they haven't been replaced. Not very expensive either. The 99,00,01, and 02 had some funky electrical issues. The tail lights and brake lights are always doing weird things. Also check to see if the brake switch has been replaced. They had a recall in those model years also. All in all it has been a very good car. The only time it has left my wife stranded is when she ran it out of fuel on the freeway, and cracked open the oil pan up in the mountains one year. :-x $6000 sounds like a heck of a deal.

Repair title, but looks good. It was hit lightly in the left front. Replaced fender, strut, and tire/wheel. Hood, bumber and inner fender still stock. Talked the price down to 5500.00.

I'm talking to the boss now about it.

I was just going to ask if anyone read that. I just grabbed a diesel power today and read that article! What a cool car! That would be the only car I would ever wanna drive! Rollin Coal!! :thumbup::twisted: