• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
schaef_12

Help, I'm turbo retarded

schaef_12    0

I'm looking for a turbo to compliment my ported and polished o-ringed head, and am looking for something like an SPS 62/12? maybe 62/14? I really need it to light close to my 60/14 and must pull 10-15k with it. I've heard of guys that really like the SPS 62 but i dont know about the rest of the number (Ex. 62/71/14.....wtf? is that 71 mm exhaust wheel?) Also i hear the S300 is close to the same size but there are many differences n thos too.

Basically, a turbo that has stock like spooling and will cool up to 600 hp on a dyno? DOES THIS EXIST?

nate    0

Best bet is to call up the vendors and talk to them. Let them know what you plan on doing for power/mods and they will be able to help you out.

NYCEGUY01    0

Brett at II told me to stay with a 62mm and the 65 ex wheel. He said in a towrig the 71 ex wheel will make the turbo a little laggy. Give them a call and he can surely explain everything in great detail.

nate    0

Take a look at HTT as well. HTB2. You can go from a 62 to 66 compressor and either a 12 or 14 exhaust housing. They have some program where you can change the setup for $150

NYCEGUY01    0

II will do the same.

I personally prefer HTT but Brett was real good about awnsering q's for me and really helped me out on a deal recently that technically wasnt even his problem.

Either of these two places can set you up correctly.

schaef_12    0

I plan on running some 435 or similar injectors, I am going to get a ported and polished fire-ringed head with back cut valves, I dont really care what rpm it spools at near 600 hp, I just want to be able to hit that on the dyno even if it is fairly warm, I would like it to spool by 15-1700 if thats possible

NYCEGUY01    0

I think you will need twins for 600hp and towing 10-15k.

600hp is a whole different animal if you want 600 usuable hp. IMO

Lots of trucks with that hp but how many of them are daily drivers that still need towing ability and not hotrods.

Even my truck that made 385 will melt without the valet switch when towing heavy. Thats why Im building a set of small twins.

When going from a HTBG ( s-300 57mm wheel ) to a HTB2 ( 62mm wheel ) the difference was noticable but not what Id call dramatic. It just wasnt enough to justify the cost on the upgrade. IMO

Lots of guys Dyno 600 with a single but thier idea of cool temps is far from mine. lol

Call HTT and II. Anytime you call any company you have to just get as much info as possible and then try to make an educated decision on your own.

Both have nice products but no matter what turbo you choose there is going to be a tradeoff in performance vs. driveability.

A set of twins can be fabbed pretty cheap. HX35 over an ht3b seems to be a pretty proven setup even if its not perfect.

Just hate to see someone dump a bunch of money and not get the expected results like myself.

schaef_12    0
I think you will need twins for 600hp and towing 10-15k.

600hp is a whole different animal if you want 600 usuable hp. IMO

Lots of trucks with that hp but how many of them are daily drivers that still need towing ability and not hotrods.

Even my truck that made 385 will melt without the valet switch when towing heavy. Thats why Im building a set of small twins.

When going from a HTBG ( s-300 57mm wheel ) to a HTB2 ( 62mm wheel ) the difference was noticable but not what Id call dramatic. It just wasnt enough to justify the cost on the upgrade. IMO

Lots of guys Dyno 600 with a single but thier idea of cool temps is far from mine. lol

Call HTT and II. Anytime you call any company you have to just get as much info as possible and then try to make an educated decision on your own.

Both have nice products but no matter what turbo you choose there is going to be a tradeoff in performance vs. driveability.

A set of twins can be fabbed pretty cheap. HX35 over an ht3b seems to be a pretty proven setup even if its not perfect.

Just hate to see someone dump a bunch of money and not get the expected results like myself.

I agree, I really dont want to put up with twins, I would rather keep it simple with a single. I dont plan on running 600 hp on my daily setup. I would like to be able to hit atleast over 500hp when on the dyno (like i said early it may be toasty, but its for the dyno) then when I am towing I will turn the fuel down and just want a nice turbo that will tow and spool close to stock while offering better performance.

Smokem    0

Your money would be better spent on injectors other than 435's. Try a 66/68mm with a single volute 0.80AR with a 5° clip on the turbine.

jmono    0

How much more efficent are expensive injectors VS the 370's or the 435's. Alot of people shoot them down and don't like the marines. But I have read about alot of success and best bang for you buck. I'm curious.

schaef_12    0
Your money would be better spent on injectors other than 435's. Try a 66/68mm with a single volute 0.80AR with a 5° clip on the turbine.

wow, little over my head......I was thinking about the sps 62, or Silver 62 from II. Those sound like pretty good all around turbos. Where could I find the above turbo? What do you think about the Dragon Fly injectors from II?

Smokem    0

I know a guy, or two. Both the 71mm and 73mm turbine wheels are a waste to run with the 62mm compressor. Injectors are only subjective to where you buy them, the Dragon Fly and 435 are the same injector, the only difference being that the 435 is built on cores. I do not have a problem using core bodies, but I dislike the practice of using core nozzles for a few reasons.

cumns guy    0

i run the dragon flies with a sps 71 and they work fine, used them with my II 64/14 and towed heavey with them quite a bit. they seem be work good all around!!! imo