• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

so, I'm going to thrown this out here, but what experiences do any of you all have either price wise, fitment wise, or performance with the aftermarket intakes, IE K&N, AEM, or BD? thinking about getting one, not sure if I really want to dump a couple of hundred on something that's only going to give me a slight boost in mileage, and a minor boost in HP. Any thoughts?

I would do a BHAF on it if it was me. 60 bucks and better filtering then a k&n And my experience with oiled filters is not good I pulled my intake tube off my turbo and there was oil all over the inside of it.

can any of you give me more info on the BHAF? To be totally honest, I had to look it up to see what you were talking about, lol, I get it now, but as far as mounting it and the heat shield part...will I have to fab one up, and if I do, what do I use? Aluminum, sheetmetal? I honestly had never heard of going this route before, so any advice or info you could give me would be great. I'm definitely liking the price though!

I am looking into building heat shields but have to gauge the need of the market.

The BHAF is one of the old school ways of allowing the engine to breathe. With a very large surface area, it lasts a long time and flows very well. Some choose to use an outerwears to give it even longer life and to protect from moisture.

The heat shield can be anything you like. I am looking at stainless, but you could use steel, slum, whatever.

Dave

alum holds heat. stainless or sheett metal bestus,,,,,, esp stainless

dave, good move. also the ah1141 mhaf filter wld be good for a fully enclosed housing utilizing the cowl hole [and fender hole]on the 2gen. i designed such a thng on my 02 and was great but i wish it stainless vs the alum one i had

I have a couple of templates kicking around. I have sent out some requests for material, cutting and braking costs to get an idea of what my costs would be and then I'll try to figure out what they are worth. My vision is a simple product laser or water jetted and then bent. It would be of the very simple variety to keep costs down, be functional and look good.

Anyone have any ideas what they would be willing to pay for a fairly heavy gauge stainless shield? Not trying to steal anyones thread here so strike these comments/ questions if they are out of place.

Or if anyone has any input they would like to share via PM, I would be happy to take any info anyone cares to offer.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Take a look here for a pic or two of mine in my air album: http://picasaweb.google.com/millcosctd

You can get the smooth rubber 4" elbows and good clamps from most any truck shop. Check http://www.fleetfilter.com for the element. They used to have them for $40.

Here are some of the part numbers for them:

Fleetguard AH19037

NAPA 2790

WIX 42790

Donaldson B105006

Baldwin PA2820

Hastings AF1012

AFE 20-40044

Carquest 87790

John Deere pmah19037

Big A 93790

Caterpillar 3i0005

Fleetrite ahr819037

Luber-finer laf2531

Fram ca6818

UNI 908

I used 'recycled' 4" aluminum sprinkler pipe for the straight pieces. I still haven't got a heat shield made. You could go ahead and get it installed and then do the shield later.....

so I ordered the filter, 44 bucks from the carquest on base, and I"m going to order the prewrap, since there always seems to be a sandstorm out here. (It's hell on the paint! I wouldn't wash and wax the truck as much, but I'm afraid of what the sand would do to the paint if there wasn't a decent coat of wax on it!) Being in the desert, and I'll be here till July, what would your recommendations be on the heat shield? Should I hold off putting in the BHAF until I've got a heatshield made up, or do you think it'll be okay? And one other question, as far as mounting the BHAF, how did you guys actually hold it in place? I'm planning on just using the stock plastic air line for now, so if I end up going without a heat shield, any easy suggestions for holding the filter in place, or should I just go ahead and try and figure my own way to do it?

I have outerwears if you need 'em.

As far as heat sheild, you can run without it. I never had one on mine.

I never rigged up a mount. I attached the BHAF to the hose then attached the hose to the turbo. Using a little bit of downward twisting force on the hose held the filter down. I also used the 3 small cap nuts from the stock airbox to cover the studs and prevent tearing the filter.

Dave

I saw some pics of a BHAF that had melted the outwears and part of the filter from it getting too hot (wasn't running any heat shield)... so I figure that's got to me some HOT air getting sucked into the engine too!

I have the plans printed out for a heat shield. I got it off DTR before I got banned :lol: If you can get on DTR do a search for BHAF heat shield. I could scan them, but I don't want to get in trouble since I didn't make that print.

They were saying on there it's a good idea to use a piece of exhaust pipe to clamp the filter too cause it can pop off the intake tube when it gets cold.

Dunno, I haven't messed around with it yet.

so I got it in, just mounted to the stock tube, since my old filter was shot! BAAAAAD... I hate the desert, BTW! Now, I have it in the OEM position, but would it be better to relocate to the front, and if I do, how much would I be looking at for parts?

Well, here it is...I tried to make a heat shield, but I ended up cutting it too short, so I'm going to have to go back and redo it later. I found a steel no parking sign, painted it, and then applied some of that starter thermal wrap to the side closest to the turbo. I didn't realize it though, and installed my air filter restriction gauge in the end of the filter, so I can't do the prewrap on this one...(:death: )

I also found a piece of 4 inch pvc that I inserted in the end of the filter, so that when I clamped the hose around the rubber end, it would actually bite and not crush it down.

DSCN0412.jpg

The outerwears doens't cover the ends of the filter, just the paper part of it and a little bit over the ends.

When you guys are making the heat shields - its a good idea to make them out of cardboard first and then make it out of metal after you have tweaked it to your liking.

Also, make sure you cover the AC line with a chunk if rubber or garden hose or the filter could rub through the AC line.