• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 9812VCTD

Brake time.....Any pointers?

Guest 9812VCTD

I really need to replace all 4 sets of brakes on my truck. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on making this any easier? Also anyone know roughly what this is going to cost?

I also think that the front left wheel bearing may be bad, again any tips or anyone know the cost to replace?

Thanks for any help,

Justin

I just did all four corners rotors park brake shoes and everything, parts from advance auto costed around $365, yours should be a bit cheaper, ( you have rear drums correct?) nothing too special about it, unless you have to disassemble the rear hubs to put on new rotors like I did.

as far as the front hub assembly, I don't know what prices are going to be these days, I'd guess around $165-$245 depending where you go, when I bought mine in '04 they were $365 from dodge, but I think the parts stores have them now which should push the price down, if you want it to go easier I would buy a can of PB blaster and once a day turn your wheels all the way to the left, crawl under there and you will see 4 bolts on the inside of your hub around where the driveshaft/ u-joint are, soak those babys down and anything you can see that is related, I'd try and hit the outside too but that may be tough.

it took me something like 3 hours with a press and sledge hammer to take my old ones out, hopefully soaking yours down will save you some backache.

When you do the rear brakes, it'd be a good time to upgrade to the Chev wheel cylinders.

The shoes have a long and short. The short goes toward the front of the truck. I was used to seeing a thick and thin and didn't even realize the long and short. Needless to say, 2 shorts went on 1 side and 2 longs on the other... $100 down the drain when I realized what had happened a week later cause the truck pulled so hard when stopping :lol:

Try and get the rotors and drums turned before buying new ones. It's usually around $10 per, and unless it's worn very badly, too thin or severely warped, you can turn them.

Also when you do the rears, do 1 side at a time in case you don't quite remember what went where. A brake tool kit is helpful, as there are special pliers to use on the springs. I think Sears sells a kit for around $20.

For the front you need a big socket for the axle shaft. I can't think of the size off the top of my head though. I'll in the toolbox if I think of it.

Guest 9812VCTD

Sounds like a PITA but something that has to be done. Thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it. Hopefully I can talk my dad into helping out. I'll let you guys know what I find out once I tear into it.

Justin

doing the brakes isn't that hard at all, its just buying all the parts that hurts...as far as the wheel bearing....we looked into doing them on our 98 12v 2500 and one side was like $400....i don't know where or if you can get them cheaper some where else.....good luck

Guest 9812VCTD
or you could do the dynatrac free-spin conversion. :twisted: but your pocket would really hate you then.

And my wife..........:nono:

Guest 9812VCTD

My dad had a guy at work today tell him that retail on the front left wheel bearing is like 600 dollars for the abs and like 400 for the non abs.........Could they really cost that much??:-(

Justin

If your gonna do the front bearings be sure you only have to do it once. Use Timken Bearings, they are widely available and are the most consistent on quality, and change everything while your in there. New bearings, rotors, ball joints, studs and mayne even the U joints. It would suck to tear all this down and put it back together, just to have to do it again a few months later because you wanted to save a few dollars.

I know most folks do turn the rotors and disks down and I do on other vehicles but on these trucks the few times I have done it, they didn't last long enough to be worth the trouble it took to do the job over again so soon, so I just go new when they need replaced.

If your still runnin the stock brake lines I would also highly reccommend changing over to Stainless lines. Makes a huge difference in braking power and feel of the pedal. The Chevy cylinders Nate mentioned also make a night and day difference.

To pop the front assembly lose just put a deepwell socket in the steering nuckle between the nuckle and the frame, start the truck and turn the steering wheel into it and wil pop the whole thing lose ASAP.

On the rears just pull the tires and put a couple of nuts back on a few threads deep, put the truck in gear to get the wheels rollin and hit the brakes. The brake pads will push the drums off for you. The nuts you put back on keep you from chasin em down the street. And once you pull both drums be sure to only tear down one brake at a time so you have the other side as a pattern if you have trouble puttin it back together. For those of us that don't do this stuff everyday those rear drums are pretty simple if you can look at one while your doin it but from memory can be a pain.

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks for the good info Dennis appreciate it. I guess it's time to crack into the savings and get this project done, and as you said do it right the first time to avoid having to do it again for a LONG time.

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

BTW where do you generally purchase the Timken bearings, does Napa carry them?

They usually aren't bad to get apart, though sometimes the hubs and ball joints can be a pain. Hopefully whoever has taken it apart before put antisieze on the parts.

The front rotors on my truck are turned and they work just fine. As long as they aren't severely warped, damaged or too thin, there's no reason not to.

The good Napa rotors are ~$225 for the set, vs $20 to turn the ones you have... :shock:

The bearings are about $270 each for non ABS and $440 for ABS.

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks again Nate, I just can't believe how spendy they are.....When I get ready to tear into I'm sure I'll have more questions thanks again for the info.

Justin

My dad had a guy at work today tell him that retail on the front left wheel bearing is like 600 dollars for the abs and like 400 for the non abs.........Could they really cost that much??:-(

Justin

When I did the wheel bearing on my 02 it was like 490 or so parts and labor by my mechanic. If you were closer I'd come help ya. (well just watch and bs):lol: