• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
schaef_12

P-Pump conversion

17 posts in this topic

Buddy of mine just lost the VP-44 in his pickup, 99 5spd, and is serious about doing a P-pump swap.....already has the P7100. I think we are going to go with the Schied kit, as it has everything to do the installation and keeps all the gauges working and the cruise. Anybody have experince with this kit or know of something that will be needed that this kit doesnt offer, or have a line on a better kit?

I know DPD put in one of shieds kits a while back, I'd send them a PM or something.

I know DPD put in one of shieds kits a while back, I'd send them a PM or something.

Did they P-Pump Shane's truck?

almost a year ago if I remember correctly.... but you know how my memory is these days.......

That's cool I haven't been around his truck for awhile, so what kind of pump did your friend pick up Corey?

Justin

215hp 887 out of a 97 5sp.

Nice.....what did you guys decide to do as far as a kit to do the conversion?

As of right now, we are going to order the kit from schieds, and while waiting for it to get here be doing a BUNCH of research!

If you have any questions let us know. :thumbup: I may know of a truck that has been converted. 8-)

Does anyone have the link to the shied website where they talk about their P Pump kit? I couldn't find it anywhere

Wow those kits aren't cheap...

Other than the longevity/lubricity issue what do you gain from a P-Pump... How is the power? Do you have to swap injectors... Sorry for all the questions, but looks like a cool swap...

You can make alot more power with a P-Pump and also get better fuel economy.

The P7100 is lubricated by engine oil, instead of relying on the fuel for lubricity. I have been told that the stock injectors work. I bought a set of injectors from Pensacola diesel. I also bought the P7100 injection pump from them also. They have excellent prices, and they will accept the vp pump as a core. You need to advance the timing to compensate for the difference in pop off pressure. The pop off is higher for the 24 valve. I replaced the cam with a street cam from Haisley, replaced the injectors with mild performance injectors,and I bought the 235hp pump from Pensacola. Then I gasket matched, ported and polished the stock turbo and exhaust manifold. I have considerably more power then before. The torque is coming in at 1250RPM instead of waiting till 1600RPM. The only problem is that the power is not there at idle-900RPM. This is due to the static timing. I can put my foot on the brake at idle now, and kill the engine. Before, the electronic govener would have kicked in and it would have roared to life. I was tired once, forgot to press the clutch, and I almost got into an accident getting pushed through four way stop. :lol:

If you have any more questions AH64ID, let me know.

I just noticed your sig, are you attempting this on a common rail? I had been told by a guy that did the conversion on a common rail that it required machining of the head for the injectors.

Thanks for the info... not considering a conversion, just curious...