Dangle

More of the same 'ol for Ford and the 6.4L??

Guest 9812VCTD

Didn't really read through the whole thing but I think considering this is a new engine I really haven't heard of people having too many problems with them? I drove the first 6.4 that came to town and I thought it was a Nice truck and it sounds like they are already making some power with them.

I read throught the whole thing, actually turned into a slug fest that got out of control between some dmax guys and ford guys. good to see WE are more mature. Anyway the guy got back on the road, and it seems to be a egr coolant failure and it dumping coolant into the intake and it grenading. He posted pics but i did not register to be able to see them. I know how that guy feels after being stranded in Kentucky with my cracked gen 2 block (only 60k on it). But at least ford fixed it. Cummins, not dodge left me stranded and stuck 2200 miles from home. boy that sure sparked a bad memory:-x $$$

I have heard several rumors here local about guys shelling engines aswell. Hopefully Ford will biuld their own engine they have been talking about and end up with a winner.

Hopefully Ford will biuld their own engine they have been talking about and end up with a winner.

Oh, now that is funny!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ford is the PROBLEM and their own worst enemy with 6.0 and looks like the 6.4 also.

While the design is not one of IH's best, its not a total turd either and pushing beyond its design limits just proves that there are some engineers that ain't got a clue how a real engine works. :)

GM tried that for years and it's still one of the biggest jokes in the diesel world. Ford will have to buy the engine from somebody that has a rep for a decent engine, keep their grubby little HP chasing hands off the programming and engineering, and maybe they will have a chance. :)

Guest POWERTRIP

I agree. I think if Ford would keep there hands of these engines and leave it to the IH they wouldnt be having the trouble they have.

GM tried that for years and it's still one of the biggest jokes in the diesel world.

I'm not sure how to take that...GM has a proven engine...check and see how many engines isuzu produces.

I agree. I think if Ford would keep there hands of these engines and leave it to the IH they wouldnt be having the trouble they have.

I agree...i honestly felt like they had a winner this time with all the changes...time will tell.

I wish they would do the same thing that you can with a big rig...i want that truck with X tranny and Y engine...that would be the ultimate.

Steve, C-Iam is probably venting since he's been smoked by many Dmaxes. :thumbup:( | )

Lets not brand war this thread...i posted this to see what others have heard about the 6.4

alan is refering to the 5.7 and 6.2/6.5

you can thank isuzu for helpin with the dmax developement which made it an engine that is probably the best choice for a V-8 pickup diesel

ford should just hire john deere to make em an inline 6 for the f-series

The 6.8L Deere would be a great choice, it is common rail and 4 v per cyl....i would sign up now for that engine.. we see very little trouble with them.

I know that Cat has teamed up with ford to produce a small diesel engine for cars...as per diesel power mag. i like the sound of a 7.5l v8 cat, small version of the 3408 cat..:thumbup:

Yeah, the IH engines were MD in a LD application.. similar to the Cummins... when they went away from IH they went to a LD enigne... big mistake IMHO...

Guest ShanesLB7

It's too bad these idiots couldn't leave well enough along...

7.3 Excellent motor...

5.9 Enough said!!:twisted:

I honestly don't know enough about a dmax but I haven't heard to much about the blowing up....

I know the 6.7's had some computer gliteches early on but haven't heard of too many blowing up... I know some have had horrid fuel miledge...

Atleast ford is taking care of the guy...:-(

no,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

run er till she drops then conversion time :D

yours does seem to be a bttr example,,,,,,, and,,,,,, ya do have 1 major prob nipped in the ass :thumbup:

Guess I'll pull my 6.0 powerstroke out of the garage and set the truck on fire tomorrow:roll:

Need any matches????

JK..yours does seem to ba an exception to the rule..:D

Need any matches????/quote]

Hey now! I have had both the 6.9 Ford and the 7.3 and both have been pretty dang stout. 6.0 and up, I think I will avoid, run my 7.3 till the end (or diesel goes to $6.00 a gallon!!!!!!!!!!)

Ok..... Just gonna throw this out to put things into perspective.

• Dodge 1st and 2nd gen automatic transmissions
  • Dodge brakes on earlier trucks
  • Questionable build quality on several years of Dodge Trucks
  • Steering failures on Dodge truck of several years
  • 53 Block Cummins
  • GM 5.7, 6.2, and 6.5 diesels
  • Issues on GM autos
  • Ford's 4R100 and E40D
  • Ford's early 7.3 cavitations issues
  • All 3 having issues with DPF emissions garbage

Which of the 3 manufacturers sales the most diesel trucks every year? Stands to reason that the biggest seller might have the most issues.

By no means am I saying the powerstroke is the best out there. Just pointing out some facts that need to be considered when people wanna throw any manufacturer under the bus.

BTW, the diesels that Ford is working on to replace the IH diesels are a collaboration with Peugeot not CAT.

Which of the 3 manufacturers sales the most diesel trucks every year?

You know its funny... whenever I give my ford buddies crap they bring that up... but when I fire back with the fact that the vast majority of hot shotters use dodge becuase they are the only ones that will hold up to the abuse they back off :D:D

Its all fun anyhow... Those ford buddies have a 97 7.3, 99 7.3, and there dad has a 04 6.0 (which has been flawless and actually gets decent mileage... doesn't seem to be the norm)...

One thing the 3 of us agree on is that we are awful glad we have cast heads :D

The 6.4 I drove that work has left me anything but impressed, slow, horrible mpgs, wouldn't build any boost, etc... .

BTW, the diesels that Ford is working on to replace the IH diesels are a collaboration with Peugeot not CAT.

I thought I read an article about 2 cat motors being designed and among the target vehicles F-150 was listed?

The 6.4 I drove that work has left me anything but impressed, slow, horrible mpgs, wouldn't build any boost, etc... .

You are aware that there is a break in program on the 6.4's for the first 5,000 miles or so. Lots of people have complained about the 6.4 at first and then after 5,000 miles they same to wake up.

Poor mileage is a side effect of the Regen cycle required by the DPF, they are ALL getting worse mileage than before. Has to do with injecting fuel into exhaust to burn out the DPF. Go figure, injecting fuel into some place other than the combustion chambers actually reduces mileage. Who knew?

And to address the Hot shotter issue. There is another underlying reason, when I bought my truck in 2004 the least expensive of the Big three diesel trucks was the DODGE. So it is not 100% JUST the engine. The engine just happened to be the icing on the cake.

I am pretty sure it had 8K on it, but maybe that was the issue....

Yeah DPF's suck... I still want to know how 8 mpgs is better for the environment than 18 mpgs...

Jeez, make a comment on the source of the problem and the "brand war" flags start flying at full mast. :roll:

The concept of a brand war with diesels is ridiculous anyway. Fact, not ONE of the big 3 has EVER designed and built a successful diesel. They all bought a finished product from and established diesel vendor. So its really a Cummins-IH-Isuzu thing not a Dodge-Ford-Chevy thing. Anything else is all about the wrapper and supporting pieces. Diversity and choice is a good thing, with trucks anyway. :lol:

Yes, Steve I was refering to GM's ill fated previous attempts at dieselizing. If you think they are a good product, you a better man than me. :)

The diesel power race and emissions are the main reasons for the failures of ALL 3 of the engines in question. All the manufacturers have gone away from the proven reliability of their respective choices to chase the buying public and in the process created their own problems. They are also learning ho to meet missionswhich they hve not hd to do much of with previus offerings.

Dodge comes out the clear winner here because of the potential of the B series engines and its origins. Aside from QC problems and crappy fuel, the problems that plague the Navistar and Isuzu diesel just don't happen to a Cummins due to its design. While cost of the Dodges may have contrbuted some, anybody that spends any time hotshotting and really working these engines knows which one is the clear winner. Sorry, the numbers don't lie and when you base your living on your equipment brand loyalty gets tossed out the window.

Quite frankly. I am glad there are OTHER diesel choices. Gives the competition something to aim for. :poke

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found