Sign in to follow this  
fyrcaptain33

Need More RWHP

Hello,

I am new to your site. I have a 99 Ram 2500, 3" lift, 35's, Quad Cab, LB. I fianally completed someupgrades,but not very happy on the dyno. I have a Superchips programmer, AFE Stage 2 Intake and 4" turbo back.

How can I get more HP without worrying about the tranny or anything like that? PLEASE HELP

229.1 RWHP @ 465 ftlbs torque.

Are we talkin an auto or manual tranny. First thing in line before anything is a fuel pressure guage. Have to have one and it has to be mounted where you can see it all the time.

Next up is gonna be a fuel system upgrade. The stock supply system is just barelly enough to supply the stock truck. Once you add anything for HP, you need extra fuel. Larger lines, High Pressure Lift Pump, those kinds of things. Once you get that set up your gonna see extra HP out of what you already have. Right now your not feeding that Superchip enough fuel for it to do it's job.

Oh, Ok. That makes a lot of sense. So what is a good one to look at? Also, I had fuel pump problems lats year. The garage put an after market kit on for me. Supposibly that will end my stalling problem.

Guages or Fuel Pumps?

Guages, they are all about the same, just get the one that suits your fancy. Tap into the fuel supply through the plug towards the front of the truck on top of the filter cannister. Just pull the plug and use a hose fitting in it's place. If you go to the Sponsor section on here you will find Rips Banner, for parts and pieces, he can help you out on all this stuff.

For the fuel pump, for the money you can't beat the Walbro pumps. You can buy the ready made kits to make the install simple and they will supply enough fuel to handle about any HP us normal folks will ever want.

For just a mild increase I would suggest the RV275's. There again, half the price of most other injector upgrades for very little difference in performance. They will run you under $300 shipped from most shops. I would put them at the bottom of this list so far though. With everything else you will be able to make your tranny last for a while as long as you drive it normal. Once you throw injectors in there, all bets are off. That's where the $2000 dollar tranny upgrade comes into play.

Guest Mopar1973Man

You might consider trading in the supercchips programmer for something a bit more stout. Maybe a TST and Smarty Stack.

I but I hate to say it your tranny won't you you for that combo. :shock:

Then if you added RV275 and the TST and smarty combo... Oh look out... :o

Guest marksmith

I ran a superchips in my 02.

To me... It didn't make much of a difference. Fuel mileage was lower.

IMHO you would be better going with a SMARTY or an Edge EZ. These are both products that you can feel.

With the SMARTY you can keep it on lower levels and keep the tranny happy. The EZ is fairly tranny safe also.

Both these products also provide boost fooling (your truck will pull the fuel off if/when you hit 22 PSI) So you can now throw a couple PSI at your new found fuel. (I wouldn't let your hy-35 boost over about 26-28 psi though.)

As the rest of these guys are telling you... an EGT gauge, Boost gauge and Fuel Pressure guage SHOULD come STOCK. You DEFINATELY need them when modding your truck.

It is MHO that the stock fuel system is OK with MILD upgrades. Just keep an eye on pressure. If you want your lift pump to live a longer life, buy one of the many kits that re-locate it back in the frame rail by the tank. These things are designed to PUSH... not pull liquid.

I will quit at that.

Later

Mark

Guest Mopar1973Man

marksmith is right about everything...

But I wouldn't try to run a mildly bombed truck on a stock fuel system its not large enough to get the volume of fuel need for the VP44 to stay lubed and cooled...

Minimum pressure for the fuel system is 10 PSI...

FP2.jpg

You cannot have VOLUME without PRESSURE!!!

I've yet to pull my fuel pressure under 5 psi with the stock 170,000 mile lift pump mounted down on the frame rail by the tank.

Guest Mopar1973Man
14 to 15 at idle

no less then 7 at wot

5 or less damge to the vp44 can occur, per cummins engineer dennis hurst

That funny...

I lost my first VP44 at 8 PSI @ WOT... My cruise pressure was 10 PSI. I tend to be really careful when your looking at a bill of at least $1,500 for a new VP44... I would rather be safe than sorry... $$$

I have no idea what my pressureis. I guess I really need to get some guages ASAP!!! My fuel pump went out last year and they relocated it into the tank. Apparently dodges had that problem, so they made a pump that relocated it into the tank.

Did any of you have the same problem?

Should I get a different pump and relocate it?

Guest Mopar1973Man

In Tank pumps are bad new out of the box... They start out less than 10 PSI from the get go... And fall all the way to 0 PSI at WOT for most...

Here is a write up on gauges...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/dipricol_gages.htm

Here is a write up on pumps... (Needs Updating)

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/campaign_pump.htm

And here is a write up on vulcan big line kits...

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/vulcan_big_line.htm

These 3 articles will cure your fuel pressure problem. But I would suggest to stay away from the stock OEM pumps (carter campaign included) and head towards a Hooley Blue, FASS, or Walbro setup...

marksmith is right about everything...

But I wouldn't try to run a mildly bombed truck on a stock fuel system its not large enough to get the volume of fuel need for the VP44 to stay lubed and cooled...

Minimum pressure for the fuel system is 10 PSI...

FP2.jpg

You cannot have VOLUME without PRESSURE!!!

The stock pump will do fine as long as you have done away with the restrictive banjos etc. I have broke 500hp and mine stays 10psi or above. The stock pump isn't the best and should be upgraded but it will do the minimum job.

Steve

the walbro sounds promising and i think it is the way i wld go if i had a 2nd gen 24v.

but really,,,,,,,,, except for $$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,, the absoulte bestus way to get dependable lift pump that puts out plenty of extra psi is to chnge the cam to an aftermarket like piers cam that has many other benefits and ya can use a mechanical lift pmp off of a 12v. this is the ultimate but for the $ amount the walbro is the way to go.

if the stock pump is still good id at least move it to the frame for now and watch the fuel pressure guage

Yeah,I wished I would have found this site long time ago. I got that aftermarket pumpthat goes in the tank now. Thanks to my mechanic and extendedwarrenty. DAMN IT.

WHere can I find a Walbro setup?

What about the FASS? Can I buy just the pump, or do I need the pump air separator?

Fass also sells just a pump model, But I would really look at the Walbro. Much cheaper price tag and so far other than a few instalation problems absolutely zero problems reported. If you put in Glacier Diesel in your search his shop will come up. He sells a complete kit. Has all new fuel line, fittings, regulator and pump along with good directions for the install.

They will both do the job with plenty to spare. I would suggest that if there is not much price difference going with the higher flow, but that's just an opinion. When you call Glacier talk to him about it, he will have more experience than anybody here with them. He has sold a good many of these kits.

Also,has anyone changed out their stock tranny pan?

I am looking mag-hytec DD. Has anyone had clearance problems?

ive run the maghytec DD on a couple different rigs, a 97 and 03. no probs at all. good to have the extra capacity

:smart:

The walbro setup from Glacier Diesel will be my next setup when my campaign pump craps out. I should have stayed at it huh Muddy!!!!

Steve

Hey Guys,

I have been loking at guages. I know I need EGT, But what else? I know you said Fuel pressure and Boost.

I do tow a 25ft Toy hauler, so should I look at droping one and picking a trans temp instead?