• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
jmono

Porting

jmono    0

I have an extra set of heads that i'm going to port and polish. This is my first time, and I was wondering if there are any tips or tricks that I should use... I have access to a grinder and I wanna try it on my own. I'm going to port and polish them, and here soon i'm going to take it to a shop to throw some oversized valves in it.

EDIT: this is for my Ford f-250 by the way.

Guest 9812VCTD   
Guest 9812VCTD

I used to get a set of gaskets and put next to the intake and exhaust ports and scribe the shape of the gasket onto the head. Then just take my time and open them to the size of the gasket and blend everything really good. I used to do alot of porting when I worked at an automotive machine shop years ago. It's worth the time and effort.

Justin

D/UNIT    8

what type of heads are you working on

(fe or 385)? some heads flow better when you hog out the roof and some the floor.fe heads have a poor intake design, what are you going to use the heads for(street, racing, low end)? a mild port job and some bowl work will do wonders.

jmono    0

street, low-end, towingish... A little of everything. They are c8ae-h heads. On the truck are dt2 or something like that. The c8ae-h flow better then the ones on it.

D/UNIT    8

The exhaust ports have a noticeable lip near the exit. You can remove this lip, raising the exit about 1/4". Don't take any other material from the roof of the port or you will hit water.

Don't take any material from the bump in the second from end intake port. It hides the rocker shaft oil passage. The intake port ceilings should not be touched anyways, again you can hit water.

The intake and exhaust ports can be widened.

XLR8R    0

Instructions from J.C.Whitney head-porting kit:

"Grinding area to ports using grey stone roundly. Meshing in and out gasket to work airflowing. Stop grinding metals 2mm before the reach of oil/water. Blending finishes to using pink stone, then wash to cleanly with soapdish."

Dang - I reckon you do get what you pay for! $$$:lol: