IdahoRob

Drag Racing Tips

Since we have a few guys new to drag racing trucks, thought I'd throw something together to help first timers. Feel free to add info everyone.

1. Make sure the truck bed is clean, really clean, they will not let you run with loose gear/tools/trash/dirt in the bed of the truck.

2. Pay at the gate and proceed to the tech line to get the truck inspected. They will look for loose parts(battery, etc.), leaks, and just overall safety. First time at the track, you'll need to purchase a comp. number. Go into the building and pick one out. This will be your number for the year at Firebird.

3. Helmet needed for 13.99 and faster. Might want to have one incase you want to run one of my tunes:lol: Jacket required for those running aftermarket turbo(s). This was a new rule last year, most who tech will not know if turbo is stock or not.

4. Listen for your class to be called, and drive into the staging lanes.

5. Drive around the water box, put in 4x4, back up a bit to engage, wait and watch the starter to signal you to stage.

6. This is how I stage.....creap up to the line and light the first yellow stage light and stop, apply brakes HARD. I allow the opponent to light his first bulb, Bad form to drive up and light both of your bulbs before he lights his first.

6a. I build boost fast, some may need to start building boost right when they light the first light, so I'll get my boost(or RPM) where I want it and keep my throttle there and lighten up on the brakes to bump into and light the second light.

6b. Watch the third yellow down the tree, go when it lights. This will vary for everyone and how they stage. This will get you close to start. If you wait to see green, then you'll be way late.

7. Race to the end line and coast down applying brakes evenly. There is very ample runoff area, so you don't need to stand on the brake pedal. Leave your seat belt on, helmet on, and windows up until off the track and on the return road.

8. Stop at the ET booth and get your time slip. Don't look at it until you are safely parked. There are a lot of people and very nice equipment around and you don't want to have an accident and spool the fun.

9. Let the truck idle for a bit to cool it down.

10. Clear tranny limp code and call ATP for a transmission kit and converter!

Couple more tips. Lower your tire pressures. Street pressures are probably way to high to get good traction at the track. I run close to 30 when I'm racing.

If you have clamps, clamp your rear spring. If you don't have any, they are easy to make and will help your 60' times.

For the Dmax guys, lower your torsion bars to get the front end down. This will help your front end parts and lower your 60' time.

If you have a laptop don't leave it out in the open when you get tech inspected. I had a tech guy give me a hard time about mine last year because I had it sitting in the front passenger's seat when I went through tech. Never had a problem with it before then.

Jacket required for those running aftermarket turbo(s). This was a new rule last year, most who tech will not know if turbo is stock or not.
Dammit, I knew I was forgetting something.

Guest 9812VCTD

Excellent post Rob thanks for sharing that information to help anyone that wants to try racing.:thumbup:

Justin