• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
jash

Suggested gauges?

jash    0

I'd like a basic set of quality gauges. What do you think are the good ones? Just starting to shop around to see what's available.

Cheers,

John

MUDDY    120
Fuel Pressure, Boost, EGT.... i went with Dipricol.. putting mine in tommorow :thumbup:

ditto. that is my suggestion too

but i have dipricol trans temp for my trans, gearvendor, and rear dana 80 :thumbup:

and,,,,,,,,the pyro is so importnant i hv 2. 1 for frnt 3 and 1 for bck 3 :D

Dr. Evil    10

For a stock truck - the single most important guage you could have on a second gen 24V is a fuel pressure guage

I prefer DiPricol Optix series, Isspro EV series, or Stewart Warner Performance Line.

I am running Isspros but really like the looks of DiPricols.

I seen some new gauges that will have a great price the other night. They look as good as the other two I listed as far as I can tell. I wanna see 'em at night. :D

Dave

jash    0

Thanks for the posts everyone. I now have some good leads to follow up. I haven't made any final decisions yet... but should soon.

--John

nate    0

If you have any auto trans, trans temp guage.

EGT, Boost, and fuel pressure all good to have.

I just have a dummy light for the fuel pressure though. If it goes under 5psi, the light comes on.

cagdodge    0

Fuel pressure guages can be the spendy ones. You can get the bd power dummy light kit for around 55.00-- i can get diprocol egt, trans, and boost with a pod for around 350.00

jash    0

Can you set the level that the fuel pressure gauge light comes on at? Also, where does it show in the dashboard? That option is attractive to me. I'm not sure I need to know exact values as long as I know I'm not in the danger zone.

Do I need the trans gauge with a manual tranny?

I'm leaning toward just the fuel pressure dummy light, EGT, and Boost.

nate    0

Yeah that is the one I have. I paid around $20 for it though, got it off a guy that put a FASS setup on his truck and didn't need it anymore.

Fuel pressure guages can be the spendy ones. You can get the bd power dummy light kit for around 55.00-- i can get diprocol egt, trans, and boost with a pod for around 350.00

Nah, you are ok without a temp gauge on a manual trans.

MUDDY    120
Can you set the level that the fuel pressure gauge light comes on at? Also, where does it show in the dashboard? That option is attractive to me. I'm not sure I need to know exact values as long as I know I'm not in the danger zone.

Do I need the trans gauge with a manual tranny?

I'm leaning toward just the fuel pressure dummy light, EGT, and Boost.

as to the trans,,,,,,,,if ya were to tow hvy then do trans/rear temp

skip that IDIOT light ideere.

with the guage ya can see if the lift pump is weakening before it gets in the danger zone. it'll ive ya some warnin so ya aint changin the lp on a trip on the side of the rd in a blowin snowstorm.

do it right even if it is a few bucks more. you will be happier in the long run. trust me on that

nate    0

Since you have a manual trans and don't need a temp gauge for that, you can put the fuel pressure gauge in the pod.

If you have a little bit of $$$ I'd just skip the gauge and get a real pump setup like the Air Dog and not worry about the fuel pressure.

Some guys like all sorts of guages, I'm not one of them. I've seen some trucks with at least 8-10 aftermarket gauges!

Dr. Evil    10

You really need the fuel pressure guage....not the idiot light.

So, tell me, how will you ever know if the light is working or not? The average person does not have the equipment to test a pressure switch.

cagdodge    0

Thats true--the light is only good if it is calibrated right--who knows? The one i suggested is from bd--hopefully right. The guage is the best way to go but if you want to do it the easiest way it is also the most expensive. The new electronic guages don't require you to run a fuel line, just a pressure sensor and some wires. But the ones we have sold have been over 200.00--not to say there isn't any cheaper. I also agree with putting in a better pump-- if your truck still has the stock one on the block and you plan on doing any mods, you will need to replace it.

nate    0

The light turns on when the key is first turned on since the lift pump isn't running and it bleeds down enough to be under 5 psi so that is how you know it's working.

Calibration applies to any gauge/reader, etc. How do you know any of them are correct? I guess just trust that it is. What if you had a pyro that was reading 400* low... possible melt down... and you'd never know till it happened too.

I think the best thing to do is just get the Edge with Attitude and you have bad ass power and guages. It'll kill a stock tranny in a hurry.

Throw a Smarty on top of the Edge, maybe some injectors too and that thing will be nuts.

Dr. Evil    10

You make a good point Nate but Ive worked in the Instrumentation field for 15 years and I would trust an analogue guage before a pressure switch any day.

nate    0

True... the main reason I went with the light was because I didn't want to add another gauge pod somewhere else and I got a real good deal on it.

I didn't even know anything about the fuel pressure issues until it came up while chatting with the the guy that sold me the dummy light setup. I only had the truck around 2 weeks when I put the guages in.