• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

straight_six

where to run the wires??

If your truck is an auto, there is a big rubber plug where the clutch linkage would go on a manual trans. Put a hole in it and pass the wiring.

Auto cable? I'm not sure on the newer trucks, but for the 2nd gens, the transmission linkage is all in the steering column.

I didn't see the part where you said the truck was a manual trans, was reading it fast I guess. I think where the steering column passes through the firewall, it also has a big rubber boot. Can pass them through there.

OR you could just drill like a 3/4"" hole at a clear spot and you'd have plenty of room for all your wiring. Just seal it up with a bit of RTV. Also put a grommet or some wire loom so the wires don't get chaffed.

Auto cable? I'm not sure on the newer trucks, but for the 2nd gens, the transmission linkage is all in the steering column.

I didn't see the part where you said the truck was a manual trans, was reading it fast I guess. I think where the steering column passes through the firewall, it also has a big rubber boot. Can pass them through there.

OR you could just drill like a 3/4"" hole at a clear spot and you'd have plenty of room for all your wiring. Just seal it up with a bit of RTV. Also put a grommet or some wire loom so the wires don't get chaffed.

whats RTV? drilling a hole worked the best... couldnt get some of the quadzilla stuff to fit threw the steering column

RTV is the silicone you use on valve covers, water pumps, diff covers, etc. I always seem to have a tube or three in the toolbox. (RTV = room temperature vulcanizing)

You can run them through where the main harness comes through. That's where I like to put them.

I put a small push through hole in the bottom of the grommet. Then I tape the wires up in a stacked fashion. Start with 1 wire and tape another about 2" down. Make sure you tape over the end and to the wire below. Then tape another 2" down again and repeat until all the wires are taped. This will allow a bunch of wires to easily be pulled through a small hole. I also use an old screw driver sharpened to a point and with a hole in the blade. I pass the first wire through this hole and I give it a push where I want to go through. I also wrap the rest of the wiring that will pass through the firewall with a full tape wrap. As the wires come to the final resting spot, it looks like a factory wrap.

Then just cut the tape on the ends or unwrap. Fast, easy and simple to route wiring along the factory loom for that "came that way" look.

Dave