• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
D/UNIT

NV4500 BROKE TODAY?? Sporting some new wheels

D/UNIT    8

I picked up a flatbed trailer with two flatbeds on in caldwell today and headed of too ontario just before black canyon exit the trans started making a whinning sound so i backed off the throttle a little and it still sounded the same just quieter thinking ill stop at he next exit i proceeded and it made clangng sound and i lost 5th gear dropped down to 4th and proceeded to the next exit after stopping i noticed that i had no gears. and was blocking the off ramp. called a couple of friends in the mean time. luckly a truck driver pulled me out of traffic and to the truck stop parking lot.

then a friend brought me a trailer and towed the load to ontario and Muddy helped me load up my truck up and took it to ontario.

while waiting for a trailer i tried all the gears and found that 4th still worked anyways thanks for your help Muddy much appreciated.

anybody know what happened other than it broke LOL?? ill tear into it in the next couple weeks.

NYCEGUY01    0

If its broke real bad when you tear it down I just listed one in the trading post a yesterday.

All you would need to do is reuse a few of your parts to make it work.

D/UNIT    8
If its broke real bad when you tear it down I just listed one in the trading post a yesterday.

All you would need to do is reuse a few of your parts to make it work.

i already had you in mind :)

schaef_12    0

I'm going to say the bearing on the output shaft is is toast. This happened to mine and took out 5th and 4th gear and syncro. I still had 1-3, but it sure made a Hell of a noise when i coasted it of the road.......even in nuetral. If yours doesnt make noise just coasting maybe its the input bearing that is shot.

chpmnsws6    0

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be the first set of meshing gears in the trans off the input shaft. With a bearing going out, or out, you'll typically have a grinding noise till it just locks up. Did you try getting the truck to move on its own in 4th gear to check the operation of thew clutch and the rest of the driveline? Just making sure its not another driveline component.

lumpdog    0
4th is the only gear that doesn't use the countershaft. I've never seen a good countershaft problem. :-?

My thoughts exactly....

Sorry to hear it Brian.

D/UNIT    8

thanks for the input guys. im hoping to have some time next week to tear into it. i didnt realize how much i need my truck until it was broke.

MUDDY    122
thanks for the input guys. im hoping to have some time next week to tear into it. i didnt realize how much i need my truck until it was broke.

hell,,,,,,,, if'n ya need a load towed lemme know......

if'n ya need that there fancy boat towed to the lake,,,,,,, well im here for ya :D

Guest 9812VCTD   
Guest 9812VCTD
hell,,,,,,,, if'n ya need a load towed lemme know......

if'n ya need that there fancy boat towed to the lake,,,,,,, well im here for ya :D

Hell.....Yeah Muddy and he probably needs that new motor broke in also.....LoL

Justin

MUDDY    122
Hell.....Yeah Muddy and he probably needs that new motor broke in also.....LoL

Justin

hell yeah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

break in takes time doing it right.

im sure he's much too busy. being the nice guy i am i'd help him out :D

chpmnsws6    0

Another possibility is a snapped countershaft, or sheered teeth on the counter or on the main cluster at the input shaft. When do you plan on removing the transmission?

S Radke    0

The drivelines are not a big issue. Driveline shops can do that work for you relatively quickly and inexpensively shoulod you decide to do it.

D/UNIT    8

found a nice nv 4500 core and received my rebuild kit in the mail. so i should have my truck back on the road in a couple days:thumbup:

All thats left to fix now is the head gasket, paint, interior, rear end, transfer case, front diff and replace the pickup box and she will be good as new,,,,,,,,,,,,,:-x