pappyscrapster

Hi all,, good to be here, have a question/request

Good day all,

I wanting to gain more experience w/ my Dodge, I want to find a few folks who know some of the finer details about the 24v,

For example, KDP issue, I know I can handle the job, but also know that a few special tools may be needed, it’s “not†knowing of what your going to strip, break, bend, that makes the job harder to plan, nice to know if I need to lean on someone I can pick up the phone, get the information or stop in or have someone stop by type thing, a “go to guy†so to speak.

I think we all agree, hard to plan a job when you find yourself waiting on a email or some other type of reply.

I have lots of handy man experience; also I’m no slouch under the hood, so not a problem to repay the favor.

To point, one thing I need is to find out why my mileage is not a little better, range from 14.5 to 16.2??, I’ve cleaned the m.a.p, and a.t.t.s also use fuel additives, etc would like to mod to the Quad Adrenalin in the near future

(I know about the weak tranny Dodge put into them,) so I know I’m looking at a upgrade there, check out/fix my KDP,( where to start) hahah and I’ve just read there is a cam sensor that may have something to do w/ mileage?

Also my timing may be off, I have no idea what type of timing gun to use,

(some auto shops will tell you anything for a sale) nor do I know where the timing should be for max performance and mileage, or just leave it?

I don’t mind spending a few bucks to get tools but to have to buy every tool needed isn’t practical $$$ for back yard do it yourselfers. So over time hoping to get to know people.

Thanks

welcome to the ITD site. :cheer:

little hard for me to read your fine print but yep,,,,,,we have a good group here willing to help ya get your truck the way it should be. folks that have been there, done that.

we have a bomb party coming up where folks will help and walk ya thru the steps.

keep checking idaho gatherings section here

Guest ShanesLB7

little hard for me to read your fine print but yep,,,,,,we have a good group here willing to help ya get your truck the way it should be. folks that have been there, done that.

we have a bomb party coming up where folks will help and walk ya thru the steps.

Me too.... LOL... wow my eyes hurt.... Glad to have you here and we'll all help out if possible!!:thumbup:

Hahahh Had to use my glasses when I wrote,,

Thanks for the heads up on the meet and greet, I figured I would watch for that.

You guys just need a bigger monitor :lol:

Head down to the Bomb Party and they'll be able to help you out. Wish I could make it, but I have too many projects here at home.

For the KPD, you will need a new timing cover seal/crank seal (forgot what it's called exactly). It's about $40 at Cummins. A tube of RTV, the KDP tab, and that's it. Talk to Muddy about getting a KDP if you don't have one.

Your mileage is what I get in my truck as well.

Timing is controlled by the ECM, so that isn't something that you can adjust like the old 12v engines. A chip, box, tuner, etc will adjust the timing though (raises it).

If you are interested in getting the transmission beefed up, talk to LumpDog on here. He rebuilds transmissions as a side job and does great work.

Great, thank you,, now as to that pin, does one just remove cover, secure pin, seal, re-install, I'm guessing my arms aren't going to like that, don't I need to pull off coweling, fan, shrouding and related cooling stuff?

The fan and shroud have to come off, then you take the belt off, the crank pulley and then the timing cover. Tab the KDP, run some RTV on the timing cover (after cleaning it) and re-install everything.

I think that's about it. Steve (SEA04DMax) did the one on my truck at a bomb party a few years ago.

That's what I was thinking, I have aslo heard that some guys get a special sized wrench/socket for the bell or the shroud nuts, something about a real small hand/arm space?

Thanks for the imput Nate

To point, one thing I need is to find out why my mileage is not a little better, range from 14.5 to 16.2??, I’ve cleaned the m.a.p, and a.t.t.s also use fuel additives, etc would like to mod to the Quad Adrenalin in the near future

(I know about the weak tranny Dodge put into them,) so I know I’m looking at a upgrade there, check out/fix my KDP,( where to start) hahah and I’ve just read there is a cam sensor that may have something to do w/ mileage?

That seems a little odd to me, maybe I've just had some really good luck with my trucks, but my 01 QC LB 4x4 was getting 16-18 in town, and under a 9000 lb load, I still averaged 16 mpg over 1100 miles...and that was with a stock Dodge auto tranny. My new 01 with the 5spd man is getting about 18 on average, but can't really accurately compare the manual with the auto trans.