• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
JoshH

Cool video about the G80 locking differential

JoshH    0

Actually Rob, I'm pretty sure not all Duramaxes have the G80. Most do as it is part of the Heavy Duty Power Package (Duramax/Allison/G80), but I'm about 99% certain you could order everything separate. I know you could order the Duramax with the ZF-6 so that one couldn't come with the power pack which means you would have to spec the G80 on it's own.

nate    0

The G80 never had a rep for working all that great and for sure has a rep for being a GOV BOMB when some power is put into it with larger tires.

I don't know if Dodge got the G80 as well, they both run AAM axles right?

Back in the Dana days, it was Trac Loc, which is "ok" but the older Power Lock is BEEF. 4 pinion design, very tunable and cheap to rebuild.

Shame they got cheap and went to the Trac Loc. Only a 2 pinion, not so tuneable and parts are a bit more.

JoshH    0
The G80 never had a rep for working all that great and for sure has a rep for being a GOV BOMB when some power is put into it with larger tires.

I don't know if Dodge got the G80 as well, they both run AAM axles right?

Back in the Dana days, it was Trac Loc, which is "ok" but the older Power Lock is BEEF. 4 pinion design, very tunable and cheap to rebuild.

Shame they got cheap and went to the Trac Loc. Only a 2 pinion, not so tuneable and parts are a bit more.

Nate, you're right about the strength with more power/bigger tires, but I would have to disagree with you on them not working well. They aren't the strongest locker out there, but for a stock truck, they work well. They are an actual locker and, when in proper working order, they will lock in the right situation.

As for what the Dodges use, they use a torsen limited slip that is made by AAM, I think. They're believed to be a little stronger than the G80, but the aren't an actual locker.

There are a couple of options out for spools for our trucks, stock and aftermarket axles, and I've heard that both Detroit and ARB are developing lockers for these axles. I'm kind of surprised that no one has an aftermarket locker available yet. As many trucks as there are that run the 11.5 AAM, you would think there would be something available already.

nate    0

I was basing that off the one that my brother has in his 2500HD 6.0L. Never works when you need it seems like. One tire on dirt, one on ice and the truck won't move type thing.

He was supposed to get it checked out, not sure if he ever did though.

So old 14 bolt stuff won't work on the AAM "14 bolt"? For some reason I thought the hog was the same... I'm not too up to speed on the newer axles though.

JoshH    0
I was basing that off the one that my brother has in his 2500HD 6.0L. Never works when you need it seems like. One tire on dirt, one on ice and the truck won't move type thing.

He was supposed to get it checked out, not sure if he ever did though.

So old 14 bolt stuff won't work on the AAM "14 bolt"? For some reason I thought the hog was the same... I'm not too up to speed on the newer axles though.

Maybe your brother's has problems. I've had 3 trucks with G80s, and they always seemed to lock when I needed them. The bad thing is you have to get a tire spinning. It seems to be more difficult to get it to lock in 4wd.

You're right about the Dodge and GM diffs being interchangeable, at least for the 11.5" stuff. I don't see where I said they weren't; I just said they use different diffs from the factory. There are actually people that have put the Dodge limited slip in place of a busted G80.