• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest 9812VCTD

Clutch is going in Tomorrow!

Guest 9812VCTD

The SBC Iron Giant is finally going to get installed tomorrow. I'm going to also replace the fluid in my tranny with Castrol Syntork. I'll be sure to take some pics and let you know what I think of it tomorrow night.

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

Made the trip to I.F. today and got the clutch installed. I would just like to throw out a Huge Thanks To Dave (BigD) and his friend who installed my clutch Sorry I'm bad with names..he had my clutch installed in about 3 hours total, I couldn't believe how fast he worked but did a Really good job. The truck had a Luk in it that was still in good shape. The pedal is quite a bit harder to push in and the new clutch feels nice. I took it easy on it I'm not sure exactly what the break in time is on these, I'm going to call Peter at Southbend and ask what he recommends. Once again Thanks to Dave, and the others that helped out!:thumbup: We also had to replace two U-Joints that we found were bad and changed out the fluid in the transfer case and Transmission. Here's a few pics from today would of got more but my batteries in my camera died.

Justin

Just opened the box:

HPIM0142.jpg

Hydraulic Upgrade:

HPIM0141.jpg

H.D. Input shaft:

HPIM0140.jpg

H.D. Input shaft Installed:

HPIM0154.jpg

Flywheel installed:

HPIM0157.jpg

SBC Iron Giant Installed:

HPIM0159.jpg

Is this truck your daily driver?

I've never heard of anyone use it, especially a 4200lb plate load on anything other than a dedicated sled puller.. so I'm just wondering if it would be friendly enough to drive,back trailers, etc??

Guest 9812VCTD

Thanks guys It's nice to know it's done.

Nate I know of a couple other guys that use this clutch in there daily drivers that they also use for Pulling and didn't seem to mind it. I am hoping it works out alright, for the amount of money you have to spend to buy the DD clutch I just wanted to make the purchase one time and have it be able to hold up to whatever I can throw at it so that's why I decided to go with this clutch.

Justin

Sweet deal.

It's probably no worse than a road tractor clutch, they can be ultra grabby as well. When I was working on the farm racking potatoes one year, the guys driving the trucks on the side of the harvester would barely be able to walk after an 18 hr day pushing in and letting out the clutch. :lol:

Guest 9812VCTD

Yeah when I go to the gym I'll have to just throw my right leg in the machine because my left will already have a workout every time I drive the truck....

I didn't get a chance to drive it today, and I'm going to call SBC in the morning about the break in procedure.

Justin

I think the break in works like this Justin

Step 1. Release left foot

Step 2. Push right foot to the floor mat

Step 3. HOLD ON!

Guest 9812VCTD
I think the break in works like this Justin

Step 1. Release left foot

Step 2. Push right foot to the floor mat

Step 3. HOLD ON!

Hell..Yeah Nate now your talking..........:twisted:

Justin

Guest 9812VCTD

I just got off the phone with Peter at Southbend.........Awesome Guy, couldn't believe he got on the phone and B.S'ed with me about the clutch! He said that you can take them right out of the box and hammer on them but he said it will prolong the life if you can get some miles on it and hammer on it for a gear then drive some more. He gave me a few other tips on the clutch also. It was cool to be able to shoot the breeze with him, I was really impressed! :thumbup: He said he'll send me out some cool decals to throw on the truck also!

Justin

I just got off the phone with Peter at Southbend.........Awesome Guy, couldn't believe he got on the phone and B.S'ed with me about the clutch! He said that you can take them right out of the box and hammer on them but he said it will prolong the life if you can get some miles on it and hammer on it for a gear then drive some more. He gave me a few other tips on the clutch also. It was cool to be able to shoot the breeze with him, I was really impressed! :thumbup: He said he'll send me out some cool decals to throw on the truck also!

Justin

Good deal.....HAMMER DOWN!!!!!:thumbup::twisted:

Guest 9812VCTD
Not stiff at all he stopped by yesterday so I hopped in his truck to find out myself and it is to bad at all, yes more than stock but deffinatly a everyday driver

Was good to see you yesterday and meet Kelly and B.S. over lunch, did those smoke clouds clear out?..LoL

I have put the hammer down a couple times today and all I can say is WOW this is like a whole new truck! I did a launch in 2nd gear about 2500-3000 rpm and got the one tire hotter than hell....LoL.....then shifted into 3rd but I found you can't just slam it right into gear with this clutch...I did a couple 4th and 5th gear pulls, I am very impressed with this clutch! I have got to get some time to tune my Governor springs still not getting the RPM I need up top. This clutch has got me looking forward to having some fun this summer at some events!

Justin