• Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found
willja

Thought provoking ? of the day

14 posts in this topic

So earlier tonight I helped my buddy tow his PSD home. The question is...

Why does a trailer of equal weight feel harder to pull than a vehicle??

I'm assuming you are asking about something like an RV trailer. If so, the RV trailer is punching a BIG hole in the air. Drag becomes more difficult to over come than weight as your speed increases.

An RV definitley has more drag but the reason I asked is the last couple of days I have been moving my trailers from job to job and tonight when we got to my buddies house his brother was there with his cheby equinox. He said he didn't think it could have towed the PSD. So we were bsing and such and my buddy posed the same question. Just thought I'd see what everyone thought. Good point Tommy, but what about trailers with not so much drag?

It is still a drag issue. The truck is more aerodynamic than MOST trailers, unless the trailer is a flatbed or one of those pointed nose style trailers.

Another question.... Was this truck be towed 4 down or was it on a flat bed?

I tell ya what if you every tow a truck don't tow it backwards on a trailer... I had no choice because no one was around to help me load my truck on the trailer forwards plus it wouldn't go period so I couldn't push it!!:shock: So I loaded it on the trailer backwards... First time I towed it to boise I had it loaded straight on no worries.. pulled it with a 3/4 gas ford... This time with it on ass backwards (no aerodynamics) and pulling it with a 3/4 dodge cummins was a bid nerve wracking although the wind was screaming and that didn't help you could definately tell a difference plus it put the weight of the motor over the ass end of the trailer!!:nono::shock:

Like Tommy said, I think it's all about the aerodynamics of a rig vs. trailer. I pull an enclosed 7 ft everyday and I can see the aluminum pushing in a little at 60 mph, when I towed my Dodge on a flatbed it was nothing compared to an empty enclosed trailer.

Like Tommy said, I think it's all about the aerodynamics of a rig vs. trailer. I pull an enclosed 7 ft everyday and I can see the aluminum pushing in a little at 60 mph, when I towed my Dodge on a flatbed it was nothing compared to an empty enclosed trailer.

Randy I will trade ya...

Mine's 30':shock:

Trailer044.jpg

Trailer015.jpg

Damn, you put some cabinets in it and you got a HOME.... LOL.. No thanks, thats a humungo trailor... Mine is only 14.5 ft.... How does that pull havin the V-nose?

Damn, you put some cabinets in it and you got a HOME.... LOL.. No thanks, thats a humungo trailor... Mine is only 14.5 ft.... How does that pull havin the V-nose?

Well yeah we have actually stayed in it on job sites!!! Did a couple of cabins in the summer and took some cots and sleeping bags and it was great!! Pulls like a dream... The v-nose is the only way to go...

I wish I would have bought a v-nose when I got mine, but they didn't have any in and I was in a hurry to grab one. So I settled with a 7ft. wind blocker, and now I wish I would have waited..

Yep my 30' footer pulls easier than my 7' wind blocker too!!:-(

You have to figure too, that those trailers in the pics probably aren't as heavy as a truck and flatbed.

When I pulled Josh's truck (pulled great too... even with only about 240hp) the trailer weighed around 10,000lbs.